You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-30 10:38:48

tmadhavan

Firefox struggles to display images

Hi all. This may just be me, but I think there's something wrong with my web surfing.

Basically, my dl speeds are all good, but firefox isn't displaying images properly; just leaving blank image icons. Now, I don't know if this is something to do with my setup, or a new router I've had, or whatever (firewall??).

That's pretty vague I realise, does anyone have any ideas what could be happening? Any tests I could do? I suppose it's likely that it's something I've cocked up..

Ta.
T

#2 2005-06-30 11:12:07

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Firefox struggles to display images

It's something visual.... so maybe upload a screenshot or two?

#3 2005-06-30 11:30:43

lanrat

Test it on some dynamic webpage with lots of images like deviantart or google image search

Check your firefox and extensions config menus. Maybe you just accidentally disabled images ? :-)

#4 2005-06-30 11:59:55

tmadhavan

Yar good point about deviantart - I'd already tried that. I found that thumbnails were displayed correctly, but I couldn't view the full size images. This may have been due to deviantart's servers.

And another thing!!! Look at this, it's weird! It happened the other day, and I kept getting Yahoo! error messages for sites that weren't hosted by Yahoo!

So, here we go: this is a direct click of your (lanrats) images.google link....

WTF??

Look at the address, then the deviant art error page... WTF!

Here's a pic of where the fullsize image should be:

No Fullsize

Here's a normal page with its images fekked up:

Image Probs

Ummm OK my connection is fooked. Any free web image hosting plz? Photobucket is failing me.  *EDIT* Duh, I have hosting on my uni server, what an idiot. Can't get them uploaded tho... something very wrong.

*I'll post the screens asap

#5 2005-06-30 20:26:06

lanrat

If it's possible try another browser too. This can narrow the group of suspects to firefox only.

If this is happening only in firefox then backup your ~/.mozilla directory and remove it or change its name. Firefox should then start with no options and extensions. If it's working with "clean" firefox I'd suspect one of the extensions or standard firefox config options.

If it's happening in all browsers then it's also possible that you have some problems with you network (dropping connections for larger files etc. - typical for wifi networks with low quality transmission).

#6 2005-07-01 07:26:06

tmadhavan

Dammit I can't get those images uploaded.

It's not firefox only, Opera has the same issue. I think it's not the router's fault, as my dad's machine hasn't got any issues. Must be something to do with my firewall or something, tho I wouldn't know what.

T

#7 2005-07-02 11:11:44

tmadhavan

Screens up, was my firewall >:|

#8 2005-07-02 11:29:19

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

tmadhavan wrote:

Screens up, was my firewall >:|

Give quicktables a try. Its a simple script you run to generate a set of rules. I think there's even a quickblock utility to stop certain ip addresses on the fly.
There's a whole wiki that Dibble did with several firewall generators to choose from.
http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Po … 0Firewalls

#9 2005-07-02 11:40:08

iphitus
Forum Fellow

You have internode big_smile hehe, they rock wink

iphitus

Board footer