You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-04 21:19:59

alphaniner

Display Styles

When using a display style other than 'ArchLinux', I have no favicon and I lose the

Home    Packages    Forums    Wiki    Bugs    AUR    Download

links at the top.  Both are minor nusiances, but I miss them!  Is there any solution to this (other than the obvious)?

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#2 2011-08-04 21:33:45

karol
Archivist

Re: Display Styles

If you're not using the only correct style, the Party shall punish you! We shall start by taking away the top links you mentioned.

Maybe you can hack a workaround but I don't know of any official method.  You can simply open a couple tabs in the browser instead of those links.

#3 2011-08-04 23:49:52

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

All display styles other than 'Archlinux', are upstream styles and obviously they are not going to create top links specifically for us. Similarly, we do not patch fluxbbs code at all, so we are not going to create top links for their display styles.

So in short, you gotta live with it.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2011-08-05 00:04:07

alphaniner

Ok, thanks for the info.

What about the favicon though?  I can't believe the developers wouldn't allow sites to specify one, considering they don't provide their own.

On another note, would you accept patched versions of the current available styles, providing all they do is add the links and favicon?

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#5 2011-08-05 00:09:03

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

most likely, No. because then someone else would bring up another style to add and so on....pretty soon, the devs are working more on the bbs than on actual core development.

But you can still ask the devs if they'd be willing to take it on.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2011-08-05 00:20:54

alphaniner

For the record, I wasn't talking about adding anything.  I fully understand why that would be unreasonable.  I meant modifying the ones that are already available to us so they match 'ArchLinux'.

And also, I was offering to do the patching myself.

-Lysander Spooner

#7 2011-08-05 03:33:10

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

alphaniner wrote:

For the record, I wasn't talking about adding anything.  I fully understand why that would be unreasonable.  I meant modifying the ones that are already available to us so they match 'ArchLinux'.

And also, I was offering to do the patching myself.

I would counter that again with my earlier post. The rationale being, that if you can accept modifications from user X (lets say, alphaniner) why can't you accept changes/modifications/new styles from me (user Y).

Look I am not saying that you shouldn't try. By all means. However, be prepared to take No for an answer as well. And if you do create a style to your liking, you can always use it locally for yourself even if the forum doesn't accept it.

Forum Rules

#8 2011-08-05 04:20:15

alphaniner

I don't mean to draw this out further, but it's not about 'modifications by alphaniner,' it's about 'modifications to match the ArchLinux style.' I apologize for being pedantic, but I think that is a very qualitative distinction.

In any case, thank you for your input. I need one more bit of information before I shut up: to whom could I take this request?

-Lysander Spooner

#9 2011-08-05 12:52:30

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Forum Rules

#10 2011-12-17 13:59:22

karol
Archivist

Another way to approach this issue: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/27589

#11 2011-12-20 14:26:38

alphaniner

Do you have a white flag I can borrow for this 'approach'? tongue
And maybe a pair of sunglasses? cool

-Lysander Spooner

Board footer