You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-12 17:08:03

Raptorista

[SOLVED] Goodbye Ubuntu: wanna Arch!

Hello everybody!
    I'm planning to say goodbye to my Ubuntu distribution and "jump in the dark" in Arch [I've had it for about a month and I think I like it!].
The main reason is that I first installed it on a 10 GB partition because it was supposed to be a "try and decide" install, but now I have the problem that this 10GB partition is completely full and I can't keep it this way.

So I got the following idea

# My partitions, on order "left to right"
[P1 and P2 in extended partition]
  P 1               Ubuntu system               19 GB
  P 2               Arch linux                    10 GB

P 3               Winzoz                              73 GB
P 4               Ubuntu /home                        6 GB
P 5               Data                                486GB

Now.. Best plan would be to burn P 5 and get its space, but I need winzoz to stay for some rare tasks.

Second-best idea seems to be to format P 1 and P 4, shed a tear for Ubuntu and then adding P1 to P2, to give Arch more space, and using P4 so move Arch's /home on it.

Now, there are two basic problems.
1) I boot with Ubuntu's GRUB2 bootloader modified to boot Arch as well, but I'm afraid it could disappear once I've formatted Ubuntu

2) Is it possible to move the /home directory to another partition?

That I would solve this way:
1) What if I install Arch's GRUB? It should overwrite Ubuntu's GRUB2 and enable me to boot Arch again.

2) I did this on Ubuntu a long time ago, but I still have the instructions. Would the process be the same on Arch? The instructions would make me copy the home to a temp dir, then umount home and mount the other partition in the /home dir [not exactly this way, I'm just remembering].

So, what do you think about it?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by Raptorista (2011-08-12 21:53:10)

#2 2011-08-12 17:12:22

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Goodbye Ubuntu: wanna Arch!

1) yes
2) where have you installed Arch's /home? under root itself on is it on Ubuntu;s /home partition

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-08-12 17:21:06

Raptorista

Actually Arch's home is on the same partition as the rest of Arch system, that is under root.

#4 2011-08-12 17:26:22

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Whack Ubuntu P1 and Arch P2. Also Whack ubuntu /home P4.

Re-install Arch and create /, /home, /var and swap as 4 partitions either on extended or otherwise.

That would be the easiest since you have just installed Arch, you probably haven't customized it much.

Or Use Gparted Live cd and then follow a bunch of delete/move/extend/shrink partitions to get the desired partition scheme you want.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2011-08-12 17:35:21

Raptorista

I don't want to reinstall Arch unless it's necessary, so I think I'll try the second one first wink

Thanks for help, I'll go doing it!

#6 2011-08-12 18:29:37

kulpae

are you sure P2 is full?

sudo pacman -Scc

will clean your pacman cache
(Attention: will remove all pacman packages from pacman cache, so you'll need an active internet connection if you want to reinstall one of them)

#7 2011-08-12 19:48:50

Raptorista

I used to do

sudo pacman -Sc

in emergency situations.

Anyway, it looks like I almost did it.
Partition modifying went ok [I still have to find out which files I forgot to copy] but I forgot to install grub [I'm soooooooooooo stupid!!], so now I'll have to figure out how to install it [I did a real magic trick to boot in this session so I have to fix it NOW XD].

#8 2011-08-12 21:52:48

Raptorista

I'm very happy to say... I DID IT!!
Everything went [almost] fine, and now it works how it's supposed to!

I'd like to thank you all for support wink

Board footer