You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-15 18:24:09

CPUnltd
Website

Impossible to install on Inspiron 6400 (don't know why)

I have tried liveUSB and LiveCD... both end in the same way:

Install goes 100% fine, then after reboot (or fresh boot) I get error 15...

root     (hd0,0)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-label/root ro

Error 15: File not found

Press any key to continue...

got a feeling I can this is a 3.0 kernel issue (that should advocate the release of a new ISO) and I can hopefully fix this by editing grub... but we shall se...

Help grow the dev population... have your tech trained and certified!

#2 2011-08-15 18:26:52

karol
Archivist

Re: Impossible to install on Inspiron 6400 (don't know why)

What image have you used? Have you updated after the install? Have you read http://www.archlinux.org/news/changes-t … filenames/ ?

#3 2011-08-15 18:47:39

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

yeah, if you updated the system, you got kernel 3.x, so you have to change the kernel lines in the grub/menu.lst. Its a no-brainer.

CPUnltd wrote:

that should advocate the release of a new ISO

and you already have started a thread for this long time back. Unfortunately, it will get done when it will get done.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2011-08-15 20:36:07

CPUnltd
Website

I am aware of the forum rules... I wasn't trying to make this a second post on the same topic, just voicing what I feel is yet another reason to have a newer ISO.  I actually did a net install from the official 2010 iso and from the 8/14/11 test ISO... not quite sure why the livecd method for Arch is so "difficult", but I digress...

not necessarily a no-brainer... with the kernel, the namechanges went from kernel26 to linux... what does vmlinuz26 change to?  My initial guess is vmlinuz, but that may be too simple of an option (especially since I think that name is used somewhere else within the system already) which leaves a possible option of vmlinux... but I don't know.  Could somoene tell me what it should be?

Inspection of my own menu.lst doesn't help at all because it still shows "kernel /vmlinuz26..." and "initrd /kernel26.img" which is the old setup pre3.0 kernel.  Likely, the menu.lst of the hard drive in question is exactly the same, but I'll pull it tonight and find out by hooking it up to my laptop and reporting back. I can say that net install is not a good idea at this point because I tried this 3 times on this laptop and 2 other times on a latitude D630 with the same error message.  and I highly doubt it's my ISP as I attempted on a Time Warner home connection and a T-Mobile 4G broadband connection.  But I could be wrong.

@ Karol: I was not even aware of that documentation until this moment... I did just notice that it is on the front page of the main site... a place I admittedly rarely visit.  Wonder if that would fix my current shutdown issues... will find out soon...

Last edited by CPUnltd (2011-08-15 20:45:35)

Help grow the dev population... have your tech trained and certified!

#5 2011-08-15 20:39:40

karol
Archivist

@CPUnltd
Are you serious? Have you even clicked the link I posted? How about going to the main page once in a while?

Board footer