You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-16 21:32:14

PhoenixFyre

[SOLVED] Trouble Installing Flash

I held off on posting anything about this because I was sure I missed something obvious, and I wanted to read everything before asking, but I have no idea how to get Flash to install.

I used pacman -S flashplugin to get the flash plugin from the [multilib] repository, and that worked fine, but Flash still didn't work.

Then I thought to myself, "Wait, I just installed the browser plugin, and not actually the Flash Player. Derp." (Right?) So then I tried to install the Flash plugin. Adobe's website is nigh incomprehensible but I found the Linux installer -- a .tar.gz, so I tried to install it with pacman -U. Then it told me that the package was corrupt and/or missing metadata. Redownloaded it a few times to make sure it wasn't a bum download or something.

I tried the plugin in both Firefox and Chromium, but if I can get it to work in just Chromium I'd be happy (I only installed Firefox to test it).

Last edited by PhoenixFyre (2011-08-16 21:55:09)

#2 2011-08-16 21:45:32

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Trouble Installing Flash

First and foremost, a .tar.gz found anywhere on the web doesn't make it an Arch package. so pacman -U will not work on it unless it has been built as an Arch package. To install flash, all you need to do is install flashplugin from multilib. Restart your browser.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-08-16 21:47:21

alphaniner

The plugin is the player.  Did you check out the wiki page on flash?

Moreover, if you are on 64-bit I highly recommend getting familiar with the AUR and installing the beta of Flash 11, which is 64-bit.  This is also mentioned in the Wiki.

And FYI, the file you downloaded from Adobe is just an archive, not a pacman package.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#4 2011-08-16 21:47:48

SS4

Alternatively...

Essentially with the tarball you extract it to ~/.mozilla/plugins for user and someplace in /usr for root

Last edited by SS4 (2011-08-16 21:48:32)

Rauchen verboten

#5 2011-08-16 21:54:53

PhoenixFyre

The problem (which I somehow managed to miss) was that when trying to install flashplugin, it told me that glibc was not up to date, but flashplugin installed anyway. Glibc couldn't update on its own because its dependency (linux-api-headers) was marked out of date just 6 days ago, without a new version being posted outside of [testing]. So I had to manually upgrade linux-api-headers, then upgrade glibc, then install flashplugin.

Just tested the flashplugin, and it works.

Board footer