You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-13 05:06:04

rg_arc

GRUB error message 15 after installation[SOLVED]

during my installation from a live cd (on disk..not net install) I installed GRUB onto the mbr. I am dual booting with Windows Vista and thankfully it boots up from the GRUB menu. When I try to boot arch linux I get an error 15.

I've tried to install GRUB onto my arch root partition (/dev/sda3) using chroot but I can't seem to get those much needed files in order for arch to boot up properly. I am not sure whether or not GRUB was put onto the Windows partition or not.

This is basically what I did to try to fix the problem unsuccessfully:

grub root (hd0,2)
grub setup (hd0,2)
grub quit
#reboot

I looked at my /boot/grub/menu.lst and put root=UUID=<partition UUID for sda3> for both my fallback and regular arch.

Any help on this confusing issue would be much appreciated.

Last edited by rg_arc (2011-08-15 21:02:50)

#2 2011-08-13 06:01:51

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: GRUB error message 15 after installation[SOLVED]

Perhaps my post will help solve  your problem....

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=124271

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2011-08-13 06:41:10

rg_arc

I keep getting the same error messages. I guess since GRUB was installed on the MBR those files aren't present in the arch linux partition and it won't load.. at least that is my assumption.

edit: I tried the edit you were talking about. Should I change the GRUB menu.lst like this:

root=UUID/<partition>

or

root=/UUID=<partition>

or

root/UUID/<partition>

Last edited by rg_arc (2011-08-13 06:48:37)

#4 2011-08-13 09:03:28

rg_arc

how can I get these files on /dev/sda3 ? I've tried to reinstall GRUB with chroot but I can't get the files on there.

grub > setup (hd0,2)
Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0,2)" ... failed (this is not fatal)

#5 2011-08-14 09:54:49

rg_arc

Ok... after making several changes and reinstalling as well as using Gparted to erase and re create new partitions I have no solutions for this problem.

My guess is that GRUB was written to the MBR and I am not sure how to remove it from the MBR and install GRUB to the arch partition (although I am searching for some articles that might lead me to the right track)

Secondly, I have been using a net install. Would it be advisable to use the core install instead? I assume that might be the reason why I am having so much trouble.

#6 2011-08-14 10:25:06

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

you should read the output that pacman generates and also the announcements on the main page. Specifically :: http://www.archlinux.org/news/changes-t … filenames/

chroot into the machine and change the menu.lst files accordingly.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#7 2011-08-15 07:18:26

PSW

Is there a way to change the Arch Installer to compensate for this? It only takes a few minutes for us to find the problem and fix it, however for a new to Linux user it is the kind of experience that turns them away forever.

#8 2011-08-15 21:02:28

rg_arc

Thanks Inxsible that fixed it.

PSW wrote:

Is there a way to change the Arch Installer to compensate for this? It only takes a few minutes for us to find the problem and fix it, however for a new to Linux user it is the kind of experience that turns them away forever.

Yeah I had no idea until he told me about it. I couldn't have seen that even if I were looking for it. I will check the announcements regularly in case another wild change happens out of nowhere.

#9 2011-08-16 18:09:47

DaemonOfChaos

PSW wrote:

Is there a way to change the Arch Installer to compensate for this?

Definitely have to second this one.

I just completed a fresh net install and encountered this error. I spent more time correcting this issue than the install took.

It also does not provide for a good impression when a system cannot boot up after a fresh install.

The Beginner's Guide (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide) also needs to be updated to reflect these changes.

Last edited by DaemonOfChaos (2011-08-16 18:14:39)

#10 2011-08-16 18:11:35

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

rg_arc wrote:

I will check the announcements regularly in case another wild change happens out of nowhere.

This should ALWAYS be the course of action. Also try searching the forums for similar threads when you get stumped with a certain problem. Finally google also helps. If all else fails, the community here is always there to help.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#11 2011-08-16 18:14:52

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

DaemonOfChaos wrote:
PSW wrote:

I just completed a fresh net install and encountered this error. I spent more time correcting this issue than the install took.

It also does not provide for a good impression when a system cannot boot up after a fresh install.

There are releng isos available at http://releng.archlinux.org

These are very latest isos generated every couple of days, so you are guaranteed to be updated (almost). Use them, report bugs, so that they get fixed and then they will be released as official versions.

Unfortunately, every one complains about the official iso not working, but no one is willing to test the releng isos to help out the devs. I do understand the due the rolling release nature of Arch, its tedious to have to test installation isos, once you have completed the installation -- but no gain without some pain.

Forum Rules

#12 2011-08-16 18:19:56

DaemonOfChaos

Inxsible wrote:
DaemonOfChaos wrote:
PSW wrote:

There are releng isos available at http://releng.archlinux.org

These are very latest isos generated every couple of days, so you are guaranteed to be updated (almost). Use them, report bugs, so that they get fixed and then they will be released as official versions.

Unfortunately, every one complains about the official iso not working, but no one is willing to test the releng isos to help out the devs. I do understand the due the rolling release nature of Arch, its tedious to have to test installation isos, once you have completed the installation -- but no gain without some pain.

I will give those a try as I am happy to help test. Since I have a system I can play with a failure won't be an issue.

I have been using Ubuntu / Linux Mint and thought I would give Arch a try. I do understand your point of view but on the flip-side (devil's advocate perhaps?) an "official ISO" should always work. Otherwise what is the point of it being official?  big_smile

#13 2011-08-16 18:24:03

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

DaemonOfChaos wrote:

I do understand your point of view but on the flip-side (devil's advocate perhaps?) an "official ISO" should always work. Otherwise what is the point of it being official?  big_smile

Exactly !!
it should always work, that is the reason why a new official iso has not been released, because there are still bugs which might not have been fixed in the releng isos.

Also, due to rolling nature of Arch (and here's where we differ from other regular distros) -- we never provide an "installation iso" -- it is only a "snapshot" of the packages in the repo "at that time" -- keywords being "at that time". So on 2010.05, that iso was working -- doesn't mean that it will continue to work forever.

I know its a nuance, but nonetheless.

Forum Rules

#14 2011-08-16 20:06:36

stabbymctwist

Perhaps the download page should link to the releng ISOs.  Even with some type of "this is untested" warning, it beats your official installers always generating a failure on firstboot.

I've always wondered why the install images haven't been updated in so long.

#15 2011-08-16 20:31:25

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Again, just to clarify.

If you follow the pacman output, it should not fail. The change that you have to make is because the iso has kernel 2.6.33. and now its 3.0.1, so things are bound to change. But pacman, during the upgrade does inform the user to change the kernel lines in the /boot/grub/menu.lst. So if you follow the instructions, then it wouldn't fail when you reboot.

However, at the same time, I do understand that new users might not be accustomed to such tweaking on a newly installed system.

Forum Rules

#16 2011-08-17 13:58:39

DaemonOfChaos

Inxsible wrote:

Again, just to clarify.

If you follow the pacman output, it should not fail. The change that you have to make is because the iso has kernel 2.6.33. and now its 3.0.1, so things are bound to change. But pacman, during the upgrade does inform the user to change the kernel lines in the /boot/grub/menu.lst. So if you follow the instructions, then it wouldn't fail when you reboot.

However, at the same time, I do understand that new users might not be accustomed to such tweaking on a newly installed system.

I've done 7 installs now (3 official and 4 releng) and did not see a message stating to update the kernel lines. It does state to check the grub file for correctness and make any corrections. If that is what you are referring to then as you mentioned in your last statement, how is a newbie supposed to know what to change?

Also, is there a page that describes the bug reporting process for the releng ISOs? I followed your suggestion and did 4 installs last night and found a few things that weren't right that I'd like to report, this conversation being one of them.  smile

#17 2011-08-17 14:10:42

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

https://bugs.archlinux.org/

Choose Release Engineering from the drop down and select ArchIso as the category.

Forum Rules

Board footer