You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-21 18:15:44

ubituks

some little problems with gnome 3 and home network...

Hello,
right now, i installed gnome 3.
I can't edit or create panel. If i press 'alt' button, it's same as without alt button, i mean
if i right-click on date, it shows calendar and with pressing alt button again, shows calendar.
Tried to turn off/on num lock and caps lock, same...
Another problem is with sound. It seems that need some codecs or somethink, becauce then i set in gnome panel volume to max, the sound is distorted.
And problem with clock. It shows wrong time. Then i open settings and unlock it, set to network time = on in settings time is correct, but can't save it. If i close window, it dont saves.

With network, i want to listen music from my home-file server, but amarok doesn't want, also rhythmbox sends error: failed to create a source element; check your installation.
With media player i can listen music, but i want to use amarok or rhythmbox...

Also, strange error with pacman, i need to install skype:
$ sudo pacman -S skype
error: target not found: skype

And question, how to disable root account?
All i need is to use 'sudo' command, but like 'unlock' and other features requires root password.

Last edited by ubituks (2011-08-21 18:18:30)

#2 2011-08-21 18:35:09

hotweiss
Website

Re: some little problems with gnome 3 and home network...

I can help you with a few issues.

1) Skype
I installed Skype using AUR's.  First I installed yaourt: http://archlinux.fr/yaourt-en#get_it Then I just found it in the repositories: yaourt skype

2) You can add your own account in terminal using: adduser

3) I don't think you can add panels in Gnome 3

4) To install all the codecs: pacman -S gstreamer0.10-plugins

#3 2011-08-21 18:41:46

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

if you are using 64 bit Arch, you need to enable multilib repo to get skype, since skype is 32 bit software.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2011-08-21 18:55:23

ubituks

yea, thanks solved with skype.
Package gstreamer0.10-plugins already installed...
Hotweiss, you don't understand me.
I've got created my regular user and i'm using sudo command, so i don't need anymore root, i want to disable it, but some apps like user accounts, calendar, etc... needs root password.

#5 2011-08-22 11:04:27

RichAustin

ubituks

I guess you could override the password by altering the sudoers file removing the # commenting out the no passwords options. However, I think most people on here will agree it is not an especially good idea and is disabled for a reason. Personally I prefer sudo to any other method of authentication.

It's upto you though, it's your system. You can enter "sudo nano /etc/sudoers" at the command prompt - replace nano with whatever editor you prefer, gedit for example. Then remove the # marks from the obvious lines. I've never done it so I can't guarantee the outcome, should work ok though.

An alternative is to use "sudo su" which gives you root privileges in a command line without having to use sudo all the time. This would be my preference. You type "exit" to quit back to your normal user.

Rich

Last edited by RichAustin (2011-08-22 11:07:49)

#6 2011-08-22 11:17:49

fredo1664

The wiki explains how to deactivate the root login. Is this what you're looking for?

I'm French and French people can't speak English, so please please please excuse the terrible English!

Board footer