You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-24 01:56:29

Jutt69

Grub resolution problem

I'm sorry if this is obvious but I have been through the wiki and googled for info. I'm not *that* new to Arch either, I have a perfectly working install on my laptop.

Having just installed Arch on my desktop I can't see my grub menu. If I leave it for 5 seconds it does boot, but I am just staring at my monitor saying "out of range".

I have tried adding different vga values to the kernel line in my menu.lst but nothing has worked. I previously had Ubuntu on this computer and the grub2 menu displayed fine, as does my bios screen so I can't figure out why my monitor isn't happy with grub-legacy.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful.

#2 2011-08-24 09:36:40

ludwis

Re: Grub resolution problem

Have you tried reinstalling grub from the arch boot cd? I'd give it a shot if I were you. If it doesn't work simply switch to grub2.

#3 2011-08-24 09:45:42

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

did you by any chance change the vga resolution in grub? If so, try removing it and see what happens. You might also need kms depending on the video card that you have.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2011-08-24 23:19:26

Jutt69

Thank you very much for the responses.

I have tried fresh installs and grub2 but haven't been able to get anywhere.

I have also messed about with kms but without success.

So for now I shall have to put up with flying blind on my grub menu. It may well mean the Mrs will end up booting Linux instead of the Windows install she made me keep so I suppose there are good sides.

Board footer