You are not logged in.

#26 2011-08-26 19:46:27

Iranon

Re: What desktop environment matches Archlinus's philosophy?

Glad to see I'm not the only one who wanted to quip 'enlightenment: light, flexible, stylish, tends to break'.

More seriously:

FVWM fits quite nicely. Modular, lightweight and ridiculously powerful. It can be almost anything you want, but configuring it just right for your needs can eat your brain, your life or both.

If we're allowed to mix&match, I fully get that building something on top of Openbox is a popular option: easy text-driven configuration but decent graphical tools are available, quite stable and seems to play better with outside tools than window managers that claim to conform to the same standards.

#27 2011-08-26 21:01:38

Wilco

IceWM is really nice, good look from a stock installation and it's one of the few window managers where you can literaly change everything from the configuration files. Used it for over ten years, created my own patches and once you get used to it you'll laugh at fluxbox, openbox and all the other window managers out there. It has one arch flaw though: it never breaks smile

Currently I use KDE. If you disable Nepomuk search and desktop activities, KDE is great too. I've switched from Ice to KDE a few years back.

#28 2011-08-31 00:24:56

Website

Gnome doesnt look bloated to me at all big_smile I like it only thing I complain about it its startup time after you login, other than that on my comp it runs faster than XFCE big_smile

Linux user #498977
With microsoft you get windows and gates, with linux you get the whole house!
My Blog about ArchLinux and other stuff

#29 2011-08-31 01:36:41

Iranon

Bloat or no bloat, I'd say Gnome is at significant odds with the Arch philosophy.

It's big.
It's complex.
It tries to hide its complexity.
It actively resists tweaking, compared to the alternatives.
It makes many assumptions about the user's preferred workflow.

Last edited by Iranon (2011-08-31 01:37:06)

#30 2011-08-31 02:43:42

dodo3773

It is my personal opinion that the question in itself contradicts the Arch Linux Way. I feel that all desktop environments / window managers match the philosophy ( the ones in the official repositories at the very least). If "archlinus" is actually referring to something else other than "Arch Linux" then I have no idea what we are talking about and disregard my statement.

Board footer