You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-20 20:15:31

spiky25

[adhoc] trying to adapt the manual to Arch Linux (not done)

There is no relevant information about this on Archwiki and bbs, even of theses of Archlinuxfr about this way to make an adhoc connection easily, I'm trying to do it and add it ArchWiki cause it can help every Arch user cause wicd can't handle multiple connections at once ...

I tried the tutorial I was using before, networkmanager make the adhoc connection but nothing can connect to it, maybe iptables/netfilter/firestarter settings could be the problem or something about dnsmasq that don't seem to be exactly the same package on Archlinux.

My adhoc is made like a wifi repeater :
wlan0 (yagi usb long range antenna) > eth1 (internal wifi card of a netbook to repeat it in my house)

Step by step guide:

-    dnsmasq-base has to be installed: sudo apt-get install dnsmasq-base

-    remove dnsmasq as it's conflicting with NetworkManager: sudo apt-get remove dnsmasq
filter
-    restart NetworkManager: sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager restart

-    Add a new wireless network with NetworkManager (left-click on NetworkManager icon, then select "Create New Wireless Network")

-    Call the new network "UbuntuAdhoc" (note: if you choose another name you will have to turn on connection sharing later by editing the network you just created!)

-    Set encryption to "WEP40..." (note: you may have to experiment here according to what type of encryption with ad-hoc the phone/other laptop/pc supports, wpa is not supported)

English isn't my native langage

#2 2011-08-20 20:22:20

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [adhoc] trying to adapt the manual to Arch Linux (not done)

spiky25 wrote:

maybe iptables/netfilter/firestarter settings could be the problem...

That's your problem, right there. Last updated in 2005 and incredibly buggy. Replace it with a decent IPtables front end if you want to use one. ufw is very good.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2011-08-21 08:17:39

spiky25

jasonwryan wrote:
spiky25 wrote:

maybe iptables/netfilter/firestarter settings could be the problem...

That's your problem, right there. Last updated in 2005 and incredibly buggy. Replace it with a decent IPtables front end if you want to use one. ufw is very good.

I tried ufw and gufw but both seem confusing and you don't have telled me the setting to add/delete/check ...

#4 2011-08-21 14:35:48

ANOKNUSA

Firestarter.

#5 2011-09-02 06:30:16

spiky25

I tried without Firestarter, I can't find how to log to the adhoc network created ...

Board footer