You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-10 12:04:06

myrlin

Unknown Host Error

I apologise in advance for what I suspect is a trivial question, but I am trying to get NFS working properly on my home network, and failing!

The first problem I have is addressing machines by name.

I am using dhcp / network manager to manage the network.

I can "ping" each machine from the other using its IP address, but no matter what I try, I cannot "ping" them by name. I get the error message "Unknown host <name>".

I want to fix this before going on to the other problems! I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance

#2 2011-09-10 12:17:09

rayman

Re: Unknown Host Error

You can't ping/access a node in your LAN by hostname, because that hostname is probably not in the dns you use. You could either add the ip and hostname of all the nodes in the /etc/hosts on every computer inside your lan you want to reach, or you could set up dnsmasq(or bind, but dnsmasq is much simpler) and set it up so that the hostname redirects to the ip inside your lan.
In both cases, static ip's are usually desirable, because your router/dhcp server probably has an expiration time, after which nodes get assigned a different ip(you could also set up dnsmasq to be the dhcp server. Then, you won't need static ip's since you can configure dnsmasq to give ip's based on the mac address). The expiration time on my router, for example, is 2 weeks.

#3 2011-09-10 13:50:15

myrlin

Re: Unknown Host Error

Thank you for clarifying this, Rayman.

The question arose from my attempts to mount an NFS share as described in the wiki - as servername:/export /destination. This failed, so I went back to first principles, and tried to "ping" by name, and got the same error message.

I guess I need to do more work on the NFS share and try to get that to work, but it is being a swine!!!

Thanks again.

Board footer