You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-14 00:38:28

nimmo

Network Adaptors not updating once machine is powered up

I have just installed Arch on a newly purchased laptop, I already have it running on a netbook and my desktop with no problems.

For some reason now though, I am having troubles with the networking side of things. I initially noticed that when I start Gnome, I cannot enable my wireless card and after several hours of investigating wiki articles and reinstalling things like networkmanager and network-manager-applet I had no luck getting it working.

I then noticed that once I had powered up, if I removed my ethernet cable and replaced it, I never reconnected to my wired network until I restarted networkmanager.

I am not too sure what could be causing my problems and not sure where to begin with describing my setup, any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2011-09-14 01:00:19

the sad clown

Re: Network Adaptors not updating once machine is powered up

Try posting the contents of your daemon array in /etc/rc.conf

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#3 2011-09-14 09:26:48

nimmo

Re: Network Adaptors not updating once machine is powered up

Sorry, Daemons array is as follows:

DAEMONS=(hwclock dbus @syslog-ng @networkmanager @netfs @crond @laptop-mode @alsa @mpd @sshd !gdm)

Edit:
Now that I am a bit more awake, I have looked around a bit more and noticed that when I go to the network settings panel in Gnome settings, whenever I try to turn on the wireless card, it very quickly jumps back to off whenever I click on the little on/off toggle.

I wonder if this is a permissions issue, but I can't remember having this kind of an issue on my netbook. I have also checked that the wireless card shows up when I type "ip addr" and I do have an entry for wlan0.

I have also tried attaching a little usb wireless adapter that I found and it then shows as wlan1, but again, cannot be controlled from the network settings panel.

Edit2:
After a bit more tinkering, I have found that if I use wicd instead of networkmanager I can connect to my wireless network. So for now, I have replaced networkmanager with network in my daemons array and will settle with using wicd until I can figure out what is going on with networkmanager...

Last edited by nimmo (2011-09-14 15:01:14)

Board footer