You are not logged in.

#26 2011-09-14 18:22:38

George

Re: [SOLVED] KDE hangs after KDM login

HirnBrot you seem to have found it, it seems that you need a basic ttf font - I tried with ttf-liberation and ttf-dejavu and it worked fine, merely generating a font cache didn't (I'd assume that thats because there's nothing to cache).
I'd guess that this needs a bug report against kdebase-plasma which I'll create then link here.

EDIT:
Actually kdebase-workspace see https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26012

Last edited by George (2011-09-14 18:31:55)

#27 2011-09-15 13:08:27

HirnBrot

@George: Yeah, that name is pretty confusing. I complained on the bugtracker about it on a related bug.
kdebase-plasma should be renamed to kdebase-folderview. I think I am going to open another bug/feature request.
[EDIT] See https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26027 [/EDIT]

As I commented on the bug (sorry, my nick there is alfa) ttf-freefont doesn't work as the only font package.
Therefore I am going to test ttf-{bitstream-vera,droid,inconsolata} now.

I would appreciate it if some of you could help me test the rest so we can say what ttf-* packages should provide "ttffont" or whatever the packager decides that should be called.

Last edited by HirnBrot (2011-09-15 13:15:50)

#28 2011-09-15 13:25:02

George

HirnBrot/alfa ttf-freefont seems to work fine on my test VM. I'll have to try starting a new one from scratch and see if that makes any difference.

EDIT:
I just tested with a clean VM and it appears that for me any ttf- package will work, even ttf-linux-libertine which only provides serif fonts will start kde for a new user.

Last edited by George (2011-09-15 13:50:44)

#29 2011-09-15 13:48:27

HirnBrot

Yes, it does make a difference if you ever HAD it installed on that particular system.
As it works to install kde entirely and then reduce it to just the minimum, something seems to happen once you install some font packages that makes it work from then on, even if that package is deleted.
That is what confuses the heck out of me.

ttf-freefont does not work for me, as i installed kdebase and phonon-vlc ( which requires vlc which requires ttf-freefont ) instead of phonon-gstreamer and hit this problem.

Did you test ttf-liberation on a fresh install or did you ever have ttf-dejavu installed there? ( I think the first few lines of post_install() of ttf-dejavu might have something to do with this, OR you simply need to have a font cache generated one time)

Btw. I had this on my self-made (archiso) liveusb-install. To test another font I first have to make a new iso.... ( vm would be nice, but virtualbox doesn't do x86_64 without hardware support and I don't have the bandwidth to download everything for i686)
So this is gonna take a while for me. Or does anyone know how to delete the font cache?

#30 2011-09-15 13:53:44

George

I've been testing using a VM and reseting it to a snapshot previous to fonts being installed each time. Since we're still finding different things I'll reinstall my test laptop and keep a very carefull watch on what gets pulled in, when.

EDIT: Just FTR I also checked that the "new" user could not login before installing each font package, after resetting the VM.

Last edited by George (2011-09-15 14:08:26)

#31 2011-09-15 14:46:48

George

Exactly which packages did you install to get your minmal install, I've been using kdebase phonon-gstreamer xorg-server xf86-video-vesa and then whichever font package I'm testing.

EDIT: I've just retested with a new VM and I can get a login with freefont (whether as a dependency of phonon-vlc or manually installed alongside phonon-gstreamer), inconsolata and bitstream-vera.
And I've just noticed that a font cache is created by xorg-fonts-misc (a dependency of xorg-server) which is not enough on its own to allow a user to login.

Last edited by George (2011-09-15 15:08:22)

#32 2011-09-15 15:05:38

HirnBrot

Actually it was kdebase kde-l10n-de phonon-vlc xorg-server xf86-video (yes, the entire group, live-install should work on most machines).

I have another idea: What LOCALE are you using? I have 'LOCALE="de_DE.UTF-8"' set in rc.conf, (and kde-l10n-de)
I don't know if ttf-freefont works for that, although I'm not entirely sure if I'm not totally confused by the whole encoding/typeface thing here.

[EDIT] I'm in the process of building a new iso, but something cleared my packagecache some time ago, so I am downloading 180mb on a 7k/s connection now... [/EDIT]

Last edited by HirnBrot (2011-09-15 15:20:27)

#33 2011-09-15 15:12:51

George

Whoops, should've checked for a reply before saving that edit. I've got LOCALE set to en_GB.UTF-8  but haven't been installing the kde-l10n-gb package. I can't imagine that that would have any impact on freefont not working for you as it appears to have pretty good unicode coverage. However I'll change the locale in my vm and see if that affects it at all.

#34 2011-09-15 15:21:45

George

HirnBrot wrote:

Actually it was kdebase kde-l10n-de phonon-vlc xorg-server xf86-video (yes, the entire group, live-install should work on most machines).

Do you mean xorg-drivers? I can't find a xf86-video group and trying to install that gives a target not found error.

#35 2011-09-15 15:26:46

HirnBrot

Ditto...
I just checked the fonts in Systemsettings->Fonts (or something like that)

It at least has äöü (the only non-ASCII-characters german really uses, the Umlauts) , so that _should_ work.

I've checked abs for differences between the two packages, here's what I've found:

Both have (in their .install post_install())

fc-cache -f > /dev/null                                                                                                                                                                                 
mkfontscale /usr/share/fonts/TTF                                                                                                                                                                        
mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/TTF 

ttf-dejavu has before that:

pushd etc/fonts/conf.d > /dev/null                                                                                                                                                                      
for config in "${configs[@]}"; do                                                                                                                                                                       
    ln -sf ../conf.avail/${config} .                                                                                                                                                                      
done                                                                                                                                                                                                    
popd > /dev/null

Frankly I can't see what else it would be...

Last edited by HirnBrot (2011-09-15 15:32:13)

#36 2011-09-15 15:28:05

HirnBrot

Yeah, I meant xorg-drivers....sorry, should have checked that.

#37 2011-09-15 15:50:46

George

Was your liveusb up to date when you tested this, I've just setup a VM with the locale set to de_DE.UTF-8 and the kde-l10n-de package installed and I have no trouble logging in a new user with only the packages you mention installed.
I've looked at the settings files that ttf-dejavu links into /etc/fonts/conf.d and I don't see how they'd be able to affect the issue you're seeing, its a combination of rules subsituting DejaVu for other fonts (some of the rules duplicate others which are in fonts.d by default) and tweaking the hinting of the fonts.
I also just tried installing ttf-dejavu onto a vm with a clean minimal kde and then deleting the conf links from /etc/fonts/conf.d before trying a new user login and their absence didn't affect it.

#38 2011-09-15 16:11:10

HirnBrot

Unfortunately, mkarchroot seems to overwrite /var/log/pacman.log, so I have no way of knowing what packages I had installed before installing ttf-dejavu.
What I _do_ know however, is that I updated a number of core-packages (glibc,coreutils,util-linux) and kdelibs,qt and akonadi AFTER that (all were rebuilds).

I suggest we move forward under the assumption that ttf-freefonts (and any other ttf-* package) works, my problem was idiopathic, and when it doesn't revisit this issue.

I hope that addings provides like I suggested is going to fix this.

Until it doesn't, I will regard this as fixed.

Thanks for your help.

#39 2011-09-15 16:41:51

George

That seems like the best course right now, if you have a wiki account could you update the kde page so that the package list for a minimal installation includes ttf-dejavu so that anyone doing a minimal install in the meantime doesn't run into this problem.

#40 2011-09-15 17:05:39

HirnBrot

Created an account and edited.
Might not be the most elegant, but it should get the point across.

Anyway, I'm not a writer, and english ain't my mother tongue.

#41 2011-09-15 17:17:04

George

Thanks, lets hope that this gets fixed in the packages before too long.

#42 2011-09-18 21:02:38

praveenthivari

Also if any further info is I can say this:
These are the all events which happened and the results.
1) I have a separate /home directory partition so I usually share that with other OS. And I delete all config files except the basic folders in /home)-----> On arch installation it doesn't complete login.
2) I had installed reinstalled arch but didn't delete any contents of home folder ----> Arch completes the login.
3) I deleted all config files and rebooted-----> Arch doesn't login.

#43 2011-09-18 21:44:24

George

Thanks praveenthivari, that confirms what I'd seen earlier - it seems to be something to do with how kde creates its config files on first login and it appears that it will only complete that with a ttf- font package installed.

If you're still having trouble try installing ttf-dejavu and kde should complete the login even with all the config files removed.

#44 2011-09-19 18:58:27

praveenthivari

Thanks George. I have already installed that(ofcourse after reading ur previous discussions) and its working perfectly fine now. Hurray first attempt at so called 'Geeks' OS completed successfully.

Last edited by praveenthivari (2011-09-19 18:59:48)

#45 2012-09-14 03:28:28

d_logan

HirnBrot wrote:

Hi,

I seemed to have the same problem but I think I have it cornered:
I think the missing package was "ttf-dejavu" (or maybe just a ttf-font package).
(Maybe it was even the font database regenerating that ttf-packages usually do (in the post_install function in the .install file)
Could someone else try that please?

Installing ttf-dejavu fixed this problem for me.  Thanks.

#46 2012-12-03 19:36:33

Zipfer

HirnBrot wrote:

Hi,

I seemed to have the same problem but I think I have it cornered:
I think the missing package was "ttf-dejavu" (or maybe just a ttf-font package).
(Maybe it was even the font database regenerating that ttf-packages usually do (in the post_install function in the .install file)
Could someone else try that please?

MANY THANKS!!!

Board footer