You are not logged in.

#26 2003-11-22 22:44:29

contrasutra

Re: Trusted User Repositories

reload your cache Sarah, there's a "PKGBUILDs" link right on the front page. ;-)

I always leave the name of the contributer in the PKGBUILD file.

There's still no patches and such available, but Xentac said he's working on that.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#27 2003-11-23 01:36:37

farphel
Forum Fellow
Website

If I upload a package to /incoming and do not ask a TU to stick it in their repository, will it ever make it into the official Arch repositories?  What is the process for packages from TURs making it into the Arch repositories?  From what I've read about TURs, I do not see how they help speed up the process of moving packages from /incoming to official Arch repos.

As a contributor of packages, I would want these questions answered before a TU removed my packages from /incoming and stuck them in their TUR.  The argument that once the package moves from /incoming into a TUR makes it accessible to other users is invalid since users are/were always able to download from /incoming and install locally if they couldn't wait for the package to make into official Arch repos.

If placing a package into a TUR does not streamline the process of a package making it into official Arch repos, I would rather my packages stay in /incoming to be dealt with via the "official" process.

Cheers,
farphel

Follow the link below, sign up, and accept one promotional offer.  If I can get five suckers (err... friends) to do this, I'll get a free iPod.  Then you too can try to get a free iPod. Thanks! http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=11363142

#28 2003-11-23 03:04:13

contrasutra

Please note:

TU's DO NOT have access to /incoming. We can not delete files from /incoming.

Only package maintainers can delete/modify incoming. We can just download stuff.

So your package wont disappear.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#29 2003-11-23 09:34:12

Mork II

Now with the advent of TURs wouldn't it be better if incoming only was for PKGBUILD-files?

I understand that the package maintainers rebuild the packages before sticking them in any of the repos. It would be good if the TUR-maintainers did the same. More eyes squash more bugs (paints a nice picture doesn't it?). I know I would be more inclined to trust TURs that did this. The downside is of course lots of more time spent building.

//Edit: I took a look at the TURs and realised they only contain pkgbuilds. My bad, should have read the whole thread before I got on the soapbox.//

Incoming should still be there so that people can find clues on how to roll their own stuff. However the main purpose of incoming is getting new packages into the repos. I think this could be made easier if there were simple pkgbuild files that the maintainers could browse through. Also if a package failed to build (or did something plain ugly) it should be flagged as failed. A simple rename to pkg-x.x-x-FAILED should take care of that.

Fixing broken pkgbuilds should then be left as an exercise for the submitter.  Perhaps one could write a script that went through incoming once in a while, removed failed PKGBUILDs and sent an email to the submitter ("PKBUILD for pkg-x.x-x-FAILED. You still have much to learn young padwan")?

These are just my 0.02 SEK of course.

#30 2003-11-23 12:50:06

deepfreeze

regarding TUs adding packages to their own repos that are rolled by other people...I have only added two packages like that so far (pypanel and python-xlib) without notifying the contributor because there was no contributor listed in the PKGBUILD and I forgot where I saw who contributed it  :oops: 

However, from now on, so there is no confusion, if you have made a package and want it included in a TUR (or my TUR) then please leave me a msg here on the board and I will add it.  I won't go pulling random things out of /incoming to add them to my TUR. I will leave the decision about this to the contributor.  Hopefully that removes any confusion/hard feelings that may arise about "stealing" of packages, etc.

My hovercraft is full of eels.

#31 2003-11-23 22:11:01

kritoke
Website

Is there a limit on filesizes for the packages in the TUR upload?  I have several open source games that I have made packages for, but it generally times out in the upload process, so I have been unable to upload them.  I think my cable's upload rate is about 40 k per second, so it might just be that it isn't fast enough, so it kicks me off.  Anyone else have similar problems doing this with their TUR?

Kritoke

http://counter.li.org/ Registered Linux User #318963 kritoke@jabber.org

#32 2003-11-23 22:57:29

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

20 meg is a max file size.  I mentioned that in a previous message, same thread.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer