You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-20 19:29:37

Calixuss

Issue with vlc steaming through dolphin ftp client

I am not sure if i should post this here or in the multimedia section excuse me if i am mistaken. I have been using archlinux in almost 4 weeks with gnome 3. I have installed kde today after removing gnome(pacman -Rscn gnome). I have a small home server running ftp server where i have some media files(.mkv). In gnome i usually used nautilus to access the ftp folder(sftp://servername.dyndns.org/srv/) and run vlc to stream the medias. Tried to do the same with kde dolphin with no luck.

First i was not able to view the folder with dolphin. I researched abd found this thread with a solution:
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=18 … 5&start=15
Now i am able to access the folder, but can't stream any media using vlc.
The following errors are from vlc:
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL.
sftp://servername.dyndns.org/srv/filename.mkv
Check the log for details.

Going into tools->messages gives the followings:
main error: open of
sftp://servername.dyndns.org/srv/filename.mkv failed:(null)

I suspect something is wrong the ftp client configuration in dolphin. This bug report also bothers me also :
http://old.nabble.com/-Bug-274170--New% … 05158.html

Other thing is that i am able to open the media files using other media players(dragon player, mplayer), but then the files are automatically downloaded into the local folder /var/tmp/kdecache-username/krun/filename.mkv. The media player then loads the file from there. Its the same if i open a text file in the server, edit it and save it. Its first downloaded to the /var/ folder then asked to upload back to the server when closed.

Its my conclusion that the ftp client in dolphin does not work properly or KDE KIO works different then whatever is used in gnome/nautilus. I hope i have explained the issue as good as possible and would appreciate any help or lead to how to solve this.

Board footer