You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-19 09:52:47

whitethorn

[SOLVED]Openbox autostart issues

Since the upgrade to 3.5, I've had a problem with programs autostarting multiple times.  I've found the programs being called by openbox itself.

/usr/lib/openbox/openbox-xdg-autostart --list

I've been wondering if there's a way to edit this list, I start some of the programs with options (for example kupfer --no-splash) somehow it got added to the list and now it also get's started by xdg. Is the only way to disable this by removing pyxdg?

Last edited by whitethorn (2011-08-31 19:04:25)

#2 2011-08-19 10:56:01

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED]Openbox autostart issues

#3 2011-08-19 13:26:35

comicosmos

Hi karol I found the wiki page does not include every directory or config files.

I had nm-applet and trayfreq launched twice, and unexpected fcitx auto start. After checking the place mentioned in the above wiki page I was able to understand why fcitx loaded. But I stilled could not understand why nm-applet and trafreq loaded twice.
At last I marked out nm-applet and trayfreq in autostart. A quick and dirty solution tongue
This was really frustrating. I am still a fresh man to linux.

#4 2011-08-24 14:09:17

Nanthiel

comicosmos wrote:

Hi karol I found the wiki page does not include every directory or config files.

I had nm-applet and trayfreq launched twice, and unexpected fcitx auto start. After checking the place mentioned in the above wiki page I was able to understand why fcitx loaded. But I stilled could not understand why nm-applet and trafreq loaded twice.
At last I marked out nm-applet and trayfreq in autostart. A quick and dirty solution tongue
This was really frustrating. I am still a fresh man to linux.

Hello, I might be able to help. It seems the new Openbox autostarts stuff in /etc/xdg/autostart. I just renamed that directory into autostart_bak and everything went back to normal. No double loading when stuff is in ~/.config/openbox/autostart anymore. smile

#5 2011-08-24 15:33:04

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Nanthiel wrote:

Hello, I might be able to help. It seems the new Openbox autostarts stuff in /etc/xdg/autostart. I just renamed that directory into autostart_bak and everything went back to normal. No double loading when stuff is in ~/.config/openbox/autostart anymore. smile

That might not be a very good idea. Renaming folders which are owned by root is not the best way to solve problems. Any update of openbox is sure to screw it up again.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2011-08-24 18:22:36

Nanthiel

Inxsible wrote:

That might not be a very good idea. Renaming folders which are owned by root is not the best way to solve problems. Any update of openbox is sure to screw it up again.

I agree that is not the best way to solve problems, but the contents of /etc/xdg/autostart don't seem to be related to Openbox. They are all .desktop files which should be run on a session start.

I forgot to mention that I also made an empty folder with the original name, in case any new installations want to add to it.
I think new installations of Openbox change the /etc/xdg/openbox folder, rather than the autostart one.

Alternatively, one may just remove entries (.desktop files) from /etc/xdg/autostart that one does not wish to autostart, or maybe even manage auto-starting there and forget about ~/.config/openbox/autostart. But I think one file with backgrounded program calls for autostarting is easier than managing a bunch of .desktop files.

#7 2011-08-24 20:46:53

1LordAnubis
Website

removing the .desktop file(s) in /etc/xdg/autostart worked for me (trayfreq and wicd)

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
-Benjamin Franklin
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-George Bernard Shaw

#8 2011-08-31 19:04:10

whitethorn

Well this is now solved thanx for all the information. Finally I can use .config/openbox/autostart to start what I want.

#9 2011-09-21 17:49:30

gmdc

no need to remove .desktop from /etc/xdg/autostart, just add OnlyShowIn='SOME ENVIRONMENT' into them.
try:

/usr/lib/openbox/openbox-xdg-autostart --help

#10 2012-08-08 14:49:02

comicosmos

Why would openbox-session want to load .desktop in /etc/xdg/autostart.
I would prefer to launch openbox rather than openbox-session.

#11 2012-08-08 14:59:46

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

comicosmos wrote:

I would prefer to launch openbox rather than openbox-session.

Yes, we know, and we showed you how to do it in your topic. You didn't need to bump a [solved] topic from last year to tell us again.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-08-08 15:01:15)

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#12 2012-08-09 14:43:17

comicosmos

Oh I did not mean it. sorry for that.

Board footer