You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-27 23:29:18

partyk1d24

Problem Pinging

Running Arch linux as VBox guest, on Ubuntu x64

When I run ip addr I see...
inet 10.0.2.15/24 brd ....

This I am assuming is my local ip address, however, when I try to ping that address from my host box I can't reach it.

Not sure what to do, Bonus points if you can tell me how to copy and paste back to host :-)

#2 2011-09-28 04:54:29

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Problem Pinging

Can you ping 10.0.2.1 ?

How is your (virtual) Ethernet adapter configured on the host.  Your choices are NAT, Bridge, or host only.  I'll bet it is set for host only.

This creates a "Virtual" network consisting of two computers, the host computer and the virtual computer. 
It might be a NAT, but then the Network Address Translation is dependent on the Host's OS performing the routing.
The 10.*.*.* is probably not indicative of a bridged connection.  In bridge mode, you virtual machine gets an address from your router.  Most "consumer" routers allocate 192.*.*.* addresses.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-09-28 08:53:56

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Problem Pinging

ewaller wrote:

Can you ping 10.0.2.1 ?

How is your (virtual) Ethernet adapter configured on the host.  Your choices are NAT, Bridge, or host only.  I'll bet it is set for host only.

The default is NAT, and VB assigns a /24 in the 10.0.x.0 range for each VM (in the first VM, x = 2)

You would be better off using bridged, it's fairly simple these days.

Regarding copy/paste, you'll need to install the VBox Guest Additions.

Board footer