You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-05 21:52:06

ftornell
Website

Questions about RAID!

Just heared from my mother inlaw that her computer running Windows XP and was on a RAID0 (striped) got a diskfailure. All her photos is gone and with no backup that kind of sucks...

That makes me think of using RAID1 (mirrored) for my server at home. Have 2x 1TB disks and dont use the second one...so I could use that...and the server has a raidcontroller.
I got around 15.000 photos, collected for about 12 years, and I dont want to loose them.

To the question...

If one of the mirrored disk fails, do I just have to replace that one and the array itself will copy over the data from the functional disk to the new one just put in or do I need do enter the raid controller setup and do that manually?

btw, anyone know how to repair a disk that fails in a RAID0 array? guess its a logical failure because they were downloading stuff and they just powered it off...with the hardware button...

Would love to help and get the disk back up and runnig for a while so I can grab the photos...

Last edited by ftornell (2010-08-05 21:53:18)

[ logicspot.NET | mempad.org ]
Archlinux x64

#2 2010-08-05 22:20:24

GogglesGuy
Website

Re: Questions about RAID!

RAID is not a backup solution: http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/So … html#ss8.3

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2010-08-06 01:09:27)

#3 2010-08-05 22:44:51

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

ftornell wrote:

If one of the mirrored disk fails, do I just have to replace that one and the array itself will copy over the data from the functional disk to the new one just put in

Yes.

ftornell wrote:

btw, anyone know how to repair a disk that fails in a RAID0 array? guess its a logical failure because they were downloading stuff and they just powered it off...with the hardware button...

Good luck. Without any kind of information about what the error actually is, you're not likely to get much useful help.

GogglesGuy wrote:

+10 wink
RAID is an availability solution.

Last edited by fukawi2 (2010-08-05 22:45:06)

#4 2010-08-05 22:51:50

lilsirecho
Veteran

Why not flash storage

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#5 2010-08-05 23:00:43

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Full 1:1 backup to a same-sized disk with rsync. You can even script it if you want - nothing is easier. And more secure. Besides RAID not being a backup, imagine having the same HD you back up to being in that computer of yours getting fried because of a power spike or power outage. Backups should be off-line as much as possible (and if it's critical data even off-site). And with eS-ATA, there's no excuse for not using an external disk to back up to.

RAID gives you the luxury of not having to look at it (until it fails), but it hardly provides security. Just one typo and you may find yourself without your pictures. RAID doesn't save you from that; backups do.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer