You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-01 17:33:28

Rasi
Website

downloading from LAN is 10 times slower than downloading from internet

Hi, i bought a netbook these days (samsung n220) and wanted to copy some stuff over to it.
but for some reason my transfers over LAN (using a cable) are VERY slow (70KB/s). Transfers using WLAN are the same, once again 70KB/s.

Downloading stuff from the internet works on both machines. Speed is around 700KB/s.

I am using a Turbolink JDR454 Router, which, i know, sucks, but it shouldnt be _that_ bad.
The network cards shouldnt be the issue, neither should the cable since internet transfers work just fine.

Any idea about this?

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#2 2011-02-01 18:57:01

Awebb

Re: downloading from LAN is 10 times slower than downloading from internet

Start with telling us hwo you transfer the data.
Continue with testing the transfer rate when using a patch cable (twisted pairs indeed).
Are there any special settings that can be done in your router?

#3 2011-02-01 20:38:46

Rasi
Website

Awebb wrote:

Start with telling us hwo you transfer the data.
Continue with testing the transfer rate when using a patch cable (twisted pairs indeed).
Are there any special settings that can be done in your router?

I checked all the options in the router. Doesnt seem like it. Transfer rates are always identical, no matter which protocol. I tried ssh, ftp and http.

Will check the cable thing, tho I dont understand it, because if the cable limits transfer, it should be slow from internet too.

Last edited by Rasi (2011-02-01 20:44:25)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#4 2011-02-01 21:53:02

defears

I seem to have the same problem. But everything works perfectly. Just slow.

I just started useing ssh a lot and noticed I cap out at 7 megs a second between 5 completly diffrent computers and laptops. (Acer quadcore with nvidia, Intel desktop 3.2Ghz, core2duo laptop, 6 year old pentium 4 something, and 5 year old Acer Aspire) That's with cp,sftp,ftp,ssh, and samba. Iperf every combo and still 7 tops. All cabled to a switch after the router which detects no collisions at all.

But here is the strange part. All 5 computers get 14 megs download with speedtest.net.

#5 2011-02-01 23:00:11

foutrelis
Developer
Website

defears wrote:

I just started useing ssh a lot and noticed I cap out at 7 megs a second between 5 completly diffrent computers and laptops.

<snip>

But here is the strange part. All 5 computers get 14 megs download with speedtest.net.

speednet.net shows Mb/s (millions of bits per second), while various desktop applications show MB/s (millions of bytes per second). One byte is equal to 8 bits, so there's nothing wrong about the numbers you posted.

OP: Some things to try:

• Reboot the router. If that doesn't help, reset it (i.e.: restore its factory settings).

• Inspect the packets sent/received with Wireshark. Maybe it'll give you a hint or two about what's going on.

• If possible, try a different router.

• Connect the two computers directly using a patch or crossover cable. You can also make them talk to each other using their link-local IPv6 addresses.

Last edited by foutrelis (2011-02-01 23:18:03)

#6 2011-02-02 08:53:58

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

defears wrote:

I just started useing ssh a lot and noticed I cap out at 7 megs a second between 5 completly diffrent computers and laptops. (Acer quadcore with nvidia, Intel desktop 3.2Ghz, core2duo laptop, 6 year old pentium 4 something, and 5 year old Acer Aspire) That's with cp,sftp,ftp,ssh, and samba. Iperf every combo and still 7 tops. All cabled to a switch after the router which detects no collisions at all.

Open your own topic, don't hijack other people's topics.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … _Hijacking

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#7 2011-02-02 10:53:28

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Smells like MTU possibly... Are both machines set to the same MTU? Generally on a LAN they should both be at 1500

#8 2011-02-25 21:14:06

Rasi
Website

well. I uninstalled networkmanager on the netbook and replaced it with wicd.
Suddenly all works. Speed with wifi is around 2MB/s and speed with ethernet is around 8MB/s now.

Douglas Adams

#9 2011-06-29 08:56:47

quantumphaze

I have an almost identical problem. When I initiate an FTP or SFTP transfer (send or get) from my Ubuntu machine it is running at 20-30kb/s. If I initiate it from the Arch machine it runs at full speed. The two machines are connected by a 100Mbit switch. Changing to WICD does not fix the problem.

On a quick investigation it appears that there is an 0.25 second delay between every 4 TCP ack pair.

▁▂▃▄▅▆▇█▉▊▋▌▍▎▏▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▇▆▅▄▃▂▁

#10 2011-08-03 16:17:06

rmadla

.:B:. wrote:
defears wrote:

Open your own topic, don't hijack other people's topics.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … _Hijacking

It sounds to me as though defears may truly have the same problem - in which case this isn't hijacking, it's adding data to the issue.

Board footer