You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-27 18:40:58

tjwoosta

Polipo wiki page doesnt make any sense to me, please help?

Im trying to follow the wiki page to set up polipo but this page is completely confusing.

First it says

While other daemons start as root and drop priviledges as soon as possible, polipo runs as the user that invoked it. If polipo is invoked from /etc/rc.d/polipo, change the invokation line from

/usr/bin/$DAEMON $ARGS >/dev/null 2>&1

to

su -c "/usr/bin/$DAEMON $ARGS" -s /bin/sh polipo >/dev/null 2>&1

It is then also necessary to change ownership and/or permissions of several files and directories written by polipo:
* the log file /var/log/polipo. Although a better choice is to create a directory /var/log/polipo owned by the designated user and set polipo's log file to /var/log/polipo/polipo.log via the logFile variable in the config file.
* the pid file at /var/run/polipo/polipo.pid and the directory that hosts it
* the cache directory /var/cache/polipo and all of the contained files

Then a bit further down it says

Polipo can also run without super user privileges. To do so, first copy /etc/polipo/config.sample to a suitable directory:

$ cp /etc/polipo/config.sample ~/.poliporc

Edit it so that it points at a writable location, instead of /var/cache/polipo:

# Uncomment this if you want to put the on-disk cache in a
# non-standard location:
diskCacheRoot = "~/.polipo-cache/"

Create the cache directory:

$ mkdir ~/.polipo-cache

Finally, launch Polipo with the new configuration:

$ polipo -c ~/.poliporc

Im so confused right now. Which one am I supposed to follow?

Last edited by tjwoosta (2011-02-27 23:28:07)

#2 2011-02-27 22:31:47

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Polipo wiki page doesnt make any sense to me, please help?

Please use an informative topic title, the one you currently have is childish and quite useless.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-02-27 23:24:35

tjwoosta

Whats not informative about it?

If its childish and useless why does this thread have more views then many threads that are days older?

What would you prefer? "Polipo wiki pages makes no sense to me"?

#4 2011-02-27 23:37:20

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

tjwoosta wrote:

Whats not informative about it?

If its childish and useless why does this thread have more views then many threads that are days older?

What would you prefer? "Polipo wiki pages makes no sense to me"?

What would you prefer? "tjwoosta sucks" or "tjwoosta seems unfamiliar with the forum etiquette"?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#5 2011-02-28 00:45:25

ralvez
Website

@tjwoosta,

It seems to me that you do not understand  the instructions on the wiki page.
It is, the way I read it, very clear.
You CAN run polipo from /etc/rc.d but it will run as root. However, it is clearly stated that "Polipo should run as an unpriviledged user" (emphasis added by me) and as a consequence you are guided to configure polipo to run as such.

Just to make sure the directions work I set polipo EXACTLY as directed and it works.

I think that if you follow the instructions you will find the same. smile

R.

#6 2011-02-28 00:45:45

tomk
Forum Fellow

Dont restrict yourself to the Arch wiki - it's good, but not authoritative. Have a look around for other relevant docs, ideally prepared by the polipo devs themselves. Get in touch with other polipo users (on any distro) and seek clarification that way.

When you have found what you are looking for, and successfully set up your polipo install, come back to the wiki and make any necessary changes.

#7 2011-02-28 00:49:53

tjwoosta

What would you prefer? "tjwoosta sucks" or "tjwoosta seems unfamiliar with the forum etiquette"?

"polipo wiki page sucks" seems pretty damn informative to me, considering that my problem is with the polipo wiki page being confusing.

If I were being childish I would post unhelpful messages in other peoples threads because I have too much time on my hands.

It seems to me that you do not understand  the instructions on the wiki page.
It is, the way I read it, very clear.
You CAN run polipo from /etc/rc.d but it will run as root. However, it is clearly stated that "Polipo should run as an unpriviledged user" (emphasis added by me) and as a consequence you are guided to configure polipo to run as such.
Just to make sure the directions work I set polipo EXACTLY as directed and it works.
I think that if you follow the instructions you will find the same.

It tells you to modify  /etc/rc.d/polipo to run as unprivelaged user polipo. Doesnt that make the second part about configuring as a regular user redundant?

Dont restrict yourself to the Arch wiki - it's good, but not authoritative. Have a look around for other relevant docs, ideally prepared by the polipo devs themselves. Get in touch with other polipo users (on any distro) and seek clarification that way.
When you have found what you are looking for, and successfully set up your polipo install, come back to the wiki and make any necessary changes.

Thanks, I think I will smile

Last edited by tjwoosta (2011-02-28 00:57:55)

#8 2011-02-28 01:09:37

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

In addition to violating the rules in this thread, the fact that you cross posted shows sheer lack of an attempt to even follow forum rules. Just because you didn't get immediate replies to your earlier thread doesn't mean you start another.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=114250

Please consider this as a warning...

Closing...

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer