You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-16 22:27:20

wolfdogg

[SOLVED] krdc or rdesktop over the lan to a windows box

im trying to use krdc to get into my windows box, but i just get a blue screen.  i previously tried rdesktop but i keep geting ERROR: Failed to open display: :0, so i cant figure out rdesktop yet. 

using krdc, via the gui (kde), i keep getting a blue screen as if the pc is answering, im not sure but it appears thats the screen you get if you dont have a connection.  in other words, instead of an error you get a blue screen.  otherwise, maybe it means it found the computer, and is waiting for a response.

note, i was able to get into a machine remotely, over the wan, but not able to over the lan yet.

im on a 192.168.137 subnet, because im sharing my 3G connection across the router, which is set up as an access point, and the DHCP is the onboard NIC that the 3G device (HTC eris) which is connected via USB is shared to(ICS). 

so im wondering, is this just an invalid block of ips for krdc?  or whats going on?  i have the rules set up in the firewall (win 7 x64 Ult) and am able to connect fine from my other windows boxes using RDP. 

i cant ping port 3389 using either 192.168.137.1:3389 or machinename:3389, where when i ping machinename, or 192.168.137.1 i get a reply.  the same goes for my other machine, 192.168.137.116, when i add the port, it doesnt reply, when i ping just the ip, or the netbios name, it replies.  but when i connect from one windows machine to another they work, so i know the port is open. 

so do i need to edit my hosts allow, or why would i not be able to ping that port from here on the arch box?

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-06-17 09:48:50)

Node.js, PHP Software Architect and Engineer (Full-Stack/DevOps)
GitHub  | LinkedIn

#2 2011-06-16 23:49:18

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: [SOLVED] krdc or rdesktop over the lan to a windows box

wolfdogg wrote:

i previously tried rdesktop but i keep geting ERROR: Failed to open display: :0, so i cant figure out rdesktop yet.

How are you launching rdesktop? I use "Remmina" daily to admin various Windows machines at work, you may want to give that a try also.

wolfdogg wrote:

so im wondering, is this just an invalid block of ips for krdc?  or whats going on?  i have the rules set up in the firewall (win 7 x64 Ult) and am able to connect fine from my other windows boxes using RDP.

192.168.137.0/24 is a perfectly legal subnet. I can't imagine any developer would ever treat a subnet as "special"*, but if krdc treats it any differently to any other subnet then you should kick it back to where it came from and use something else.

wolfdogg wrote:

i cant ping port 3389 using either 192.168.137.1:3389 or machinename:3389

You can NOT ping ports using the standard ping utility. This will never work. Pay no attention to the fact that it doesn't work.**

wolfdogg wrote:

so do i need to edit my hosts allow

You are connecting from your Arch box to your Windows box; hosts.allow has no impact on outgoing connections, only incoming connections so you don't need to do anything with hosts.allow.

wolfdogg wrote:

or why would i not be able to ping that port from here on the arch box?

See above.

* Then again....
** ping uses the ICMP protocol (as opposed to TCP or UDP etc). ICMP has no concept of port numbers like TCP and UDP do. You can however use the `tcptraceroute` or `nmap` tools to test if a particular TCP or UDP port is open on a remote host.

#3 2011-06-17 00:39:03

wolfdogg

thank you for the replies.

yes, your right about ping.  thanks for claryfying that,  makes sense now.  it works using windows, assumed was the same in linux.  no wonder i have had problems using ping for ports. 

i did use nmap and it worked.  the port is open.  i dont think its the subnet either.

as far as rdesktop, i was using that via command line when i received that error.  ill check into remmina to see if i can get somewhere with that.

using the krdc gui, any ideas why im getting a bluescreen in the window that the desktop is supposed to be loading in?  when i connect, using either the netbios, or ip, with or without username, with or without port, i get the same thing.  its as if its answering, but cant complete the load.

It appears the pc is answering, because im getting a password prompt.  well actually after the first password prompt, kwallet comes up on the reconnect(not sure abou the safety of this program) then i put in that password. 

now im not sure if thats a legit password prompt from the answering machine, or if its just a standard measure for the krdc to prepare the connection.  thats the million dollar question.

-----------------------
edit

i installed remmina, i only see ssh and sftp there, looks like i might have to add rdesktop as a plugin?  cant figure that one out.

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-06-17 00:48:44)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#4 2011-06-17 02:23:49

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

wolfdogg wrote:

it works using windows, assumed was the same in linux.

Windows might be just ignoring your ':port' part of the command. It only uses the ICMP protocol too; it does not ping ports.

wolfdogg wrote:

as far as rdesktop, i was using that via command line when i received that error.

Try launching it from within your desktop via it's launcher or the appropriate 'Run' command (Alt+F2 in Gnome)

wolfdogg wrote:

any ideas why im getting a bluescreen in the window that the desktop is supposed to be loading in?

No idea, sorry.

wolfdogg wrote:

i installed remmina, i only see ssh and sftp there, looks like i might have to add rdesktop as a plugin?  cant figure that one out.

You need to install both 'remmina' and 'remmina-plugins'

#5 2011-06-17 09:47:36

wolfdogg

ok, after messing with it for a great deal of time, i got the problem fixed.  It appears that all forms of remote desktop work(KRDC, rdesktop, etc..) when a particular setting on windows is taken care of.  geese, i thought i got away from that mess.   under remote desktop settings in windows 7 among other versions, there is 2 forms of sharing, one uses "Network Level Authentication" and the other doesnt. turning that setting off allows other rdc clients such as the ones that linux has to offer. 

for teh record i was getting two types of errors, depending on if i was trying it with root, or my user.  with root is was a display :0 error, from my user i recieved a 'connection reset by peer' error.  thats the one that led to the clues that it was the server, not the client.

oh im pissed at a bit right now for that.  sorry for the hassle. 

i will install the plugins and check out remmina though.  thanks for the help figuring that out!

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-06-17 09:50:40)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#6 2011-06-18 01:43:59

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

No stress... I'm guessing it's a Win 2008 server. FWIW, I just installed a new Win2k8 server last week and connect to it perfectly fine over RDC using remmina without having to tweak anything on the server (other than enable RDC of course) smile

#7 2011-06-18 23:26:43

wolfdogg

no its not an official server, its win7 X64 Ultimate, just a file share box, i have all my collected user media on that file server, which i have collected over the years.  all my photos, music, documents, drivers for all my pcs, backups, etc..  i use for a fileshare over the network.  its got a bad graphics card in it, because im short on them, so i cant get into the console, i put it in the closet, and access it via RD.    i use it daily on all my other boxes to play music, and watch tv shows.  i also use it for capturing vhs tapes and converting them to dvd using virtualdub and dvdfab, along with huffyuv and ffmpg codecs.   its a cool setup.     

i use my arch box for a local testing web development server, web development,  and desktop environ. of course this is where most of the music gets played too.  :-) 

the videos get played on the laptop in the bedroom in the wee hours of the morning when all the days programming are done.  some web development is done on the laptop too, and this is currently the only official ftp server use that the arch box gets over the lan.  otherwise most development is on the local machine.

how does the win2k server work for you?  i am not big in Iis, and have never used it.  i always liked apache on windows [WAMP].

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-06-18 23:30:39)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#8 2011-06-19 05:14:17

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

wolfdogg wrote:

how does the win2k server work for you?

I hate it, but unfortunately it's the right tool for the job (domain of ~50 Windows desktops).

Board footer