You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-29 18:31:18

Who'sThere?

[Solved] Network ftp errors

Hello.

After updating Arch a couple weeks back, I was unable to FTP to other local PCs. I do not, and have not ever had internet connectivity through any ethernet means, but recently I have started to use an old ethernet hub to ftp to other computers of mine.

I dual boot Windows. All I have to do is plug in the ethernet hub, and Windows detects it setting up the dhcp address automatically.

In Arch Linux, I had to enter the following command after I plugged the ethernet cable into the router, or the power supply into the router.

/etc/rc.d/network start

Or... if I had been using my USB modem (my only internet means), I unplugged it, and ran this.

/etc/rc.d/network restart

The problem is that after the update, this is the message I'm getting when attempting to prepare to ftp (through gftp).

# /etc/rc.d/network restart
Warning: This functionality is deprecated.
  Please refer to /etc/rc.conf on how to define a single wired
  connection, or use a utility such as netcfg.
:: Stopping Network                                                      [FAIL] 
Warning: This functionality is deprecated.
  Please refer to /etc/rc.conf on how to define a single wired
  connection, or use a utility such as netcfg.
:: Starting Network                                                      [BUSY] /etc/rc.d/network: line 68: /sbin/ifconfig: No such file or directory
/etc/rc.d/network: line 76: /sbin/dhcpcd: No such file or directory

Any ideas how I can get FTP functionality back? No, I do not have a set ethernet based internet connection...

Last edited by Who'sThere? (2011-07-29 22:36:12)

Arch Linux: x86_64, Default Kernel.
Repos: Core, Extra, Community, Multilib.

#2 2011-06-29 18:54:26

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] Network ftp errors

Read the errors/warnings it is giving you. the format of the rc.conf was changed because net-tools (which also provides ifconfig) was deprecated. Merge your rc.conf and rc.conf.pacnew and then try again.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-06-30 03:30:29

Who'sThere?

Well, I just deleted the rc.conf, an rc.conf.pacnew files. I then reinstalled the initscripts package.

My only means of connecting to the internet is a USB 3g modem, so I have no experience setting up ethernet connections at all. This change has basically broken my ability to FTP between my devices.

After reinstalling the initscripts package to regenerate the rc.conf, I ran '/etc/rc.d/network start', and successfully shutdown/restarted the network with some deprecation warnings.

When I loaded up Gftp, and attempt to transfer some files, I receive this message.

Looking up 192.168.1.2
Trying 192.168.1.2:21
Connected to 192.168.1.2:21
Error: Could not read from socket: Connection reset by peer
Disconnecting from site 192.168.1.2
Waiting 30 seconds until trying to connect again

Everything is working fine in Windows, so I know the IP, login, and password information is correct.

#4 2011-06-30 03:58:18

ewaller
Administrator

Please post the output of
ip a
and of
ip r

if those do not work, you are using old tools, so post the output of

ifconfig -a
and of
route

Also, you said

old ethernet hub

Is it really a hub, or is it a switch ?  might it be a router?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2011-07-03 03:12:04

Who'sThere?

ewaller wrote:

Please post the output of
ip a
and of
ip r

Result of 'ip a'.

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN 
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:11:85:68:26:5a brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: ppp0: <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST,NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN qlen 3
    link/ppp 
    inet 174.42.245.3 peer 66.174.62.1/32 scope global ppp0

ip r'.

default dev ppp0  scope link 
66.174.62.1 dev ppp0  proto kernel  scope link  src 174.42.245.3

As people can see, I only need ppp/ wvdial to connect to the net from my usb 3g modem. I don't touch the other networking stuff, except when ftp'ing locally.

ewaller wrote:

Also, you said

old ethernet hub

Is it really a hub, or is it a switch ?  might it be a router?

I thought that hub, and router, were interchangeable terms?

It's an old NetGear wireless ethernet router.

Actually, I had ended up deleting the 'hosts', and 'rc.conf' files. I got a fresh copy of the rc.conf by re-installing the initscripts package, but how do I fix a missing host file?

#6 2011-07-03 04:42:41

ewaller
Administrator

The problem is that your Ethernet card has no Internet address

2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:11:85:68:26:5a brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
you wrote:

I thought that hub, and router, were interchangeable terms?

Not really, but the terms have become blurred.  Here are my definitions:

A hub is promiscuous.  It copies all traffic on one port to all of the other ports.  All machines on a hub see all traffic for all other machines, and the whole network runs at the speed of the slowest device.  Hubs are cheap.  They are really handy for using sniffing tools because of the promiscuity.

A switch takes note of the addresses attached to a particular port and remembers them for later.  Latter, if it is trying to forward a packet and it knows to which port the destination machine is attached, it will send the packet to that port only without bothering the devices on other ports.  Switches can also usually buffer things to allow different speed devices on different ports.

A router is like a switch, except that it can be programmed with routing information without having to depend solely on discovery;  this allows for things such as port forwarding.  Modern routers often include things like DNS servers, DHCP servers, QoS, NTP, etc... Routers often keep logs as to their operation.

I had asked because I want to understand how your wired adapter might be getting an address.  Since it is a router, it probably has a DHCP server (whereas hubs will not).

Try this (as root):
eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0

Then, see if it works.

Last edited by ewaller (2011-07-03 04:43:14)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#7 2011-07-06 03:18:20

Who'sThere?

ewaller wrote:

eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0

Command not found... for both.

Thanks for all the other info  btw.

#8 2011-07-06 03:41:29

ewaller
Administrator

Who'sThere? wrote:
ewaller wrote:

eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0

Boy, I must have been having a rough night.  Let's try again.
Try:
ifconfig eth0 up
The dhcpcd probably should have worked hmm How about dhclient eth0 instead?

Thanks for all the other info  btw.

You are welcome

---

#9 2011-07-06 14:43:53

Who'sThere?

I hardly have any time for the internet right now let alone trying to figure this out, so pardon my stupidity.

From the earlier commands I ran, I only have the 'ip' command, and not the older 'ifconfig'. Is it a safe assumption that I'll need to install an external (doesn't come embedded in the kernel) program to restore ethernet functionality? I really don't want to install a client/server that will require a constantly running daemon as this PC is pretty old. It's one of the reasons I was attracted to the minimalistic Arch.

#10 2011-07-07 16:06:09

Who'sThere?

An alternative was found.

The less resource demanding 'wicd' works great for me, and assuming I have the proper packages installed for the devices, it detect any connection type I use.

It successfully found, and connected these types of internet.
- Ethernet
- USB 3G
- 56k Soft Dial-Up

While I had already mentioned not wanting to run a daemon, I made an exception for my little speed optimized box.

With a 3.4 Ghz single-core Pentium 4, and 3 GB system RAM, the resource usage for the daemon doesn't even register over half a percent in either category. I used Conky to verify.

Last edited by Who'sThere? (2011-07-29 22:35:47)

Board footer