You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-20 10:11:47

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Running Apache and other HTTP server independently

All the information i can find online about running a second HTTP server on a different port next to Apache involves proxying one server from the other, for instance by using virtual hosts. Why is that? I assume there is a reason why both servers can't stick to their own designated ports, and leave the other one alone?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#2 2011-07-20 11:43:52

Damnshock

Re: Running Apache and other HTTP server independently

litemotiv wrote:

All the information i can find online about running a second HTTP server on a different port next to Apache involves proxying one server from the other, for instance by using virtual hosts. Why is that? I assume there is a reason why both servers can't stick to their own designated ports, and leave the other one alone?

I don't see why you could not run two webserver running in parallel as long as they do not share ports nor files (writeable)

My blog: blog.marcdeop.com
Jabber ID: damnshock@jabber.org

#3 2011-07-20 12:11:35

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Damnshock wrote:

I don't see why you could not run two webserver running in parallel as long as they do not share ports nor files (writeable)

Yes you're right, i guess that the primary reason why all information is about proxying is because people don't usually want a server on a non-standard port...

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#4 2011-07-20 12:52:32

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

litemotiv wrote:

Yes you're right, i guess that the primary reason why all information is about proxying is because people don't usually want a server on a non-standard port...

I'm guessing so... No reason you can't have apache bind to 0.0.0.0:80 and nginx on 0.0.0.0:81 for example.
Or with multiple IP's on the same box you could have them both on the same port binding to different IP addresses.
Or even one on IPv4 port 80 and one on IPv6 port 80.... tongue

Last edited by fukawi2 (2011-07-20 12:52:53)

Board footer