You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-23 23:15:12

rsty

server for home-use

I was able to get my hands on a older hp model rackmount (dl380 G3 Series) for free. It has 6x Ultra3 SCSI 15k drives, so it's a bit loud but the noise doesn't bother me. I plan to use it for a rsync host mainly, so I can sync from PC to laptop very easily (and my wife wants to be able to sync all of our family pictures/videos to her netbook from her PC). And also to pull all my movies from my roku & old neuros. I will find plenty more uses in the future. I was just wondering if this might be a little bit overkill for home-use. I figured since I got it for free, I want to put it to use. Like I said, I dont mind the noise and I can keep it cool enough, I am just worried about the power usage. How much power does a server use... when it's not being "used" smile And what about power configurations, for people who have the same deal as me. Because I wont be using it 24/7.

"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness." -Terence McKenna

#2 2011-10-24 00:05:37

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: server for home-use

Buy a kill-a-watt and measure it for yourself... what do you think the odds are that someone in here actually owns this machine AND a kill-a-watt??

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2011-10-24 00:30:21

/dev/zero

Do you have a reason to doubt the power usage available from stfw?

#4 2011-10-24 00:38:25

rsty

graysky wrote:

Buy a kill-a-watt and measure it for yourself... what do you think the odds are that someone in here actually owns this machine AND a kill-a-watt??

Funny thing is.. I wanted to post to see what anyone had to say before I went out and bought a kill-a-watt. I just wanted a roundabout for a 2U with 6 15k SCSI's... not exact. As yes/no/maybe answer to say the least, lol. I thought it was a pretty straight forward question. Is this stupid what I am doing or not?

/dev/zero wrote:

Do you have a reason to doubt the power usage available from stfw?

I do not. But I cannot seem to get the answer that I want. All the power usage calculators ask for a PSU wattage, guessing that a 400W PSU is running always 24/7 @ 400W

"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness." -Terence McKenna

#5 2011-10-24 00:47:20

/dev/zero

What about powertop?

#6 2011-10-24 01:09:47

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Everything besides an Atom, a Zacate or maybe some other entry-level AMD or Intel is pure overkill. You don't need a watt meter to know that.

If power consumption doesn't bother you, of course, then stick with it. I don't know how much power goes for in the US these days. It's nice to recycle old stuff, but it's still pure overkill for what you'll use it for.

Last edited by .:B:. (2011-10-24 01:14:18)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#7 2011-10-24 01:12:28

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

rsty wrote:

How much power does a server use... when it's not being "used" smile And what about power configurations, for people who have the same deal as me. Because I wont be using it 24/7.

I have a couple of these exact units for home... They are loud and expensive. I don't have exact figures, but I can't afford to run them. I bought a rack-case and built a custom "server" instead. The DL380's are now at work instead (where I don't pay the electricity bill tongue)

#8 2011-10-24 01:52:54

rsty

fukawi2 wrote:
rsty wrote:

How much power does a server use... when it's not being "used" smile And what about power configurations, for people who have the same deal as me. Because I wont be using it 24/7.

I have a couple of these exact units for home... They are loud and expensive. I don't have exact figures, but I can't afford to run them. I bought a rack-case and built a custom "server" instead. The DL380's are now at work instead (where I don't pay the electricity bill tongue)

Thanks. I wonder how it would be with green SATA drives and some power config tweaks. For now, I'll stick with my backup drive in my desk drawer and rsync for my laptop. Thanks all.

#9 2011-10-24 07:01:07

zenlord
Website

Take a look at the HP Micro server - small, noiseless, almost no power consumption and should be enough to handle your usecases. (Did I say it was cheap?)

#10 2011-10-25 12:21:18

synthead

Having a server running 24/7 will cost you anywhere between $20-60 a month in electricity alone.  Like the guys above said, you're really better off starting with a low-power solution like an Atom board.  I have one of those guys in a micro-ATX form factor and it has a peak draw of 45W.  That's a small lightbulb.

#11 2011-10-25 21:47:38

libertas

For a very low power consumption you may try something as the eSata Sheeva UBIFS arm based linux solutions or other similar products.
Myself, I'm considering to buy one of those for file and mail server and a few other things.

Board footer