You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-13 09:44:41

arch_gala

IPv6 routing help

Hi guys and girls!

Can anyone help me in configuring routing a dynamic IPv6 prefix?

My ISP just activated IPv6 support, but the internet connection is done via PPPoE, so everything is dynamic, including the prefix.

I have managed to setup rp-pppoe for IPv6 and I'm getting the IP and prefix from my ISP on the ppp interface, but I have no idea how to route them so that the rest of the network knows about it.

On the "internal" network I have enabled and configured DHCPv6 from ISC so I can assign an IPv6 for each PC and it works, but how to route them? NAT no longer exists in IPv6 and I can't find any settings or tutorials for dynamic prefixes.

Thanks.

#2 2011-12-13 22:41:38

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: IPv6 routing help

We need more information about your network... How do you connect? Just a combined modem/router/ Do you have a /56 or /64 prefix?

#3 2011-12-14 11:17:20

ghen

Are you getting your IPv6 prefix via DHCPv6-PD (Prefix Delegation) ?

If so, you need an interface between your DHCPv6 client (which gets the prefix from your ISP) and your own internal DHCPv6 server.  I'm afraid no ready solution exists for Linux yet...  I believe the WIDE dhcp6 suite includes a dhcp6s.conf option to update a prefix in /etc/radvd.conf, but not for DHCP (yet)...

#4 2011-12-14 16:15:05

arch_gala

Ok, so here is the info:

Internet provider: RDS
Method: PPPoE (PPP over ethernet, no modem needed)
IP assignment: Automatic (DHCP through PPP)
IPv6 prefix: /64 (will change next year)

Server running Arch Linux up-to-date. Important services:
- routing IPv4 (through NAT)
- DNS for IPv4 (dnsmasq)
- DHCPv4 for internal network (dnsmasq)
- routing IPv6 (in the works)
- DHCPv6 (in the works - liking ISC for the moment)
- DNS for IPv4 (in the works - probably BIND, as it can interface with ISC DHCP server)

I'm getting a "world readable" IPv6 address from my ISP (2a02:2f01:.......) and I have tested the IPv6 connection using a Windows 7 client and http://test-ipv6.com/ . The address changes (prefix including) after reconnecting.

Board footer