You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-07 16:49:20

Rukiri

Arch VPS (looking for a comparable plan/host) JaguarPC Business

I have used JaguarPC in the past and love it's packages, it irks me that they don't have a handful of distro's like other hosts but offer a lot of bandwidth space.

This is what I was going to order but I rather stick to the OS I know, and a tip for people thinking about using arch use ABS for packages and always, always, always ask questions before updating or keep an eye on the wiki/abs to make sure it's stable.

This is JaguarPCs Business VPS plain, I'm looking for a comparable plan with a host that offers Arch or even Gentoo Linux.  I don't hate debian, I do not like CentOS and RPMs, arch is a cleaner OS imo.

100 GB Disk Space
    5,000 GB Bandwidth
    2048 MB RAM
    4096 MB Burst RAM
    Equal CPU (2 core min.)

The price is $50/mo and I'd like to stick around that price if possible but I can go higher if needed, just don't want to pay more just cause of a different OS.

#2 2012-06-07 18:12:54

jac
Website

Re: Arch VPS (looking for a comparable plan/host) JaguarPC Business

Where are you located? FanaticalVPS is what a friend and I use, but it is located in Germany. Sometimes the lag is higher than you might want but for the most part it is fine. I made a post in this thread about some of the other downsides. And some of the upsides smile Make sure you look into the uptime thing though, it may be unacceptable to you.

You'd need a Huge for $30/month and a $10-$20/month RAM upgrade to get the specs you want. I don't know about the CPU stuff, you'd have to talk to support or look at their page. Bandwidth is "fair-usage unlimited." If you're paying that much I'm sure you'd get 5TB out of it, but best ask to be sure. I pay for a Mini and fair usage for that is like 1.5TB. They support Arch of course.

Edit: Forgot to mention! There's a wiki page about VPS's that support Arch.

Last edited by jac (2012-06-07 18:32:37)

#3 2012-06-07 19:01:45

Rukiri

South Dakota, USA.
I heard good things about Fanatical, the best area's for me anyway are east or west US, Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka JP.  These are just a few locations that are speedy for my location.

#4 2012-06-07 19:37:04

jac
Website

I don't really have much experience with any of the other VPS's on that wiki page, but at least one mentions Tokyo. That one is Linode, but I've heard that is rather expensive. I didn't even know they supported Arch. Now that I've actually looked at it, it is like 1.5 times as expensive as Fanatical... Hopefully someone else with more experience can step in and give an opinion smile

#5 2012-06-07 20:17:24

Rukiri

Linode is expensive especially when compared to other well known hosts like JaguarPC, Futurehost, knownhost etc.
I'm more or less looking for.
2GB of ram
Lots of Bandwidth (I currently receive 50,000/wk) 50gb/wk
At least 75GB of HDD space
dual or quad would be nice.

https://www.amerinoc.com/vps.php looks great but there's little to no reviews anywhere I can find..

Last edited by Rukiri (2012-06-07 20:20:23)

#6 2012-06-08 05:23:18

Geoffroy

I don't know if it's available from the USA, but have you check OVH? I have a "kimsufi" from them, which is NOT a VPS but a dedicated private server.

The server isn't really expensive, I used to spend more than that in cigarettes..

#7 2012-06-08 09:29:03

JackH79
Website

This thread has got some useful links as well.

Board footer