You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-31 04:36:49

JackH79
Website

Good VPS? Recommendations?

Inspired by this and this I'm contemplating getting a VPS maybe.
Probably used mainly as my own cloud storage space and some other things I haven't thought of yet.
Ie.: I want an unmanaged VPS with reasonable space, but traffic can be limited, as it will only be me accessing it.

Does anyone know some reliable ones that don't cost a fiortune and don't cast you in iron on the contract?

Thanks

#2 2012-05-31 06:37:16

Ashren
Website

Re: Good VPS? Recommendations?

Linode.com is good. I have a custom Arch linux installation running on one with lvm2 using pv-grub.

It's not the cheapest, but with the freedom that comes with linode I think the price is reasonable.

Last edited by Ashren (2012-05-31 06:38:02)

#3 2012-05-31 09:07:41

JackH79
Website

Hey, thanks for the tip.
The bumf looks very tempting, but $19.95 for the minimal setup is a bit too much for the two things I want to do with it. I know, I know. TANSTAAFL.

I wopuld appreciate other suggestions. I'm more looking at something under $10, if there is a decent one in that bracket.

Thanks again though.

#4 2012-05-31 10:42:57

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Another +1 for Linode I'm afraid. They're just awesome.

Although, seeing that you're in Australia also, I also have a VPS with Crucial Paradigm... If you pay annually then you're nearly at $10/month. Their network isn't as stable as Linode (relatively) and you don't get as much bang for your buck, but it's reasonable. I haven't found a comparable provider in Australia within that price point. http://www.crucial.com.au/vps/linux.php

I also have a VPS with Softronics in Switzerland. They aren't too bad for the same price point as Linode. Better network than Cruicial: http://www.softronics.ch/en/products/li … server.php
(I had jurisdictional reasons for needing that VPS in Switzerland, otherwise I would have used Linode)

#5 2012-05-31 10:56:34

JackH79
Website

Thanks very much for your suggestions fukawi. Just had a look at crucial, but it offers a loooot less for not much less money.
Since the unanimous verdict seems to be Linode, I may have to cut down on the daily coffee, but get a decent host.
I'll give it a few days to think it through. Maybe I can get some more tips in the meantime.
Thanks for your time!

#6 2012-05-31 12:05:49

jac
Website

A friend recommended FanaticalVPS (NOTICE: that is an "affiliate" link, so if you decide to go with them you can save a fellow archer some money wink If you don't want to do that, use their regular URL) to me, and that's what I've been using since then. I've been running Arch on it without troubles this entire time.

Note that it says "unlimited" transfer, but it is still expected that you do not max the gigiabit connection constantly; it's a fair usage policy. With your usage, it should not ever be a problem.

In the approximately 14 months I've had it, uptime has dipped below 99.9% twice: once because of constant NIC crashes which have since been fixed, and most recently because of a string of hard drive failures. They have no qualms refunding based on their policy, though. I don't really have any experience with the effective uptime/availability of other VPS's, so I can't comment on if it's better or worse than others.

All in all, I think it works out to be a nice deal. Since I've joined I've seen two "X% off for life" deals, one when I started for 20% off, and another a month or two ago for their 2 year anniversary for 30% off. I took advantage of that one to get a mini at $10.50/month and dropped the other one smile

That turned out really wordy, I hope it helps!

Last edited by jac (2012-05-31 12:23:49)

Board footer