You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-15 16:52:56

stevelipinski

Interface showing NO-CARRIER & DORMANT, but working

Long time Linux user, first time Arch user.  Trying to configure ArchARM on a Rasp Pi (Not sure that's related).
Note - I'm totally new to systemctl and netctl, been using Redhat-like systems for a long time....

I was converting the standard install of dhcpcd to a static IP assignment.  I did the following:

cp /etc/netctl/examples/ethernet-static /etc/netctl/eth0
vi /etc/netctl/eth0 # (and set IP, gateway, etc. as appropriate)
systemctl stop dhcpcd@eth0.service
systemctl disable dhcpcd@eth0.service
ip link set eth0 down #netctl seems to need this or its not happy
systemctl start netctl@eth0.service
systemctl enable netctl-auto@eth0.service # Not sure what is netctl vs netctl-auto

At this point all was good and things were working as expected.

I then rebooted the system and when I reconnected, I looked at the network:

[root@alarmpi ~]# ip addr show dev eth0
4: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DORMANT qlen 1000
    link/ether b8:27:eb:c2:4e:2e brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.4/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global eth0

Note - the interface is working, I'm connecting (via SSH) over it, etc.  But, it makes no sense to me why it would indicate NO-CARRIER and DORMANT.  Why is the OS not recognizing the link as UP?  Seems the NO-CARRIER and UP/LOWER_UP flags are conflicting, no?

Thanks.

Also, any pointers on learning more about systemctl and netctl would be appreciated (can't find a good primer anywhere...)

Last edited by stevelipinski (2013-11-15 17:08:44)

#2 2013-11-17 15:10:04

Strike0

Re: Interface showing NO-CARRIER & DORMANT, but working

Welcome to the bbs, however, please note ARM is covered elsewhere: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=153431

The command's output is misleading. You see another UP inside the brackets, that's the relevant one.

Please have a look at the wiki pages here first for pointers. For netctl the devs also put a lot of effort in comprehensive man pages which the wiki page tries to complement I guess.

Board footer