You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-26 18:24:34

earlz

Linode with latest Arch Linux never brings networking online at boot?

Hello, I use Linode for my primary VPS related stuff. On it, I usually use Arch Linux. Recently however, I've faced a pretty big issue. If I spin up a new linode, do a pacman -Syu and then reboot it, it will not setup networking when it starts up.

I have to manually login with their Lish out-of-band access to login and start networking manually (ie, by doing dhcpcd eth0). I've filed a support ticket with them, but they said it was basically out of their control and pointed me here. I've never had this issue until recently.

I've already tried setting up netctl and such for defaults, but it still ends up with no DHCP lease upon boot, and I'm not sure why. Anyone know of this issue and/or how to fix it?

#2 2014-07-26 18:31:34

karol
Archivist

Re: Linode with latest Arch Linux never brings networking online at boot?

Can you tell us what exactly is installed - which packages, which versions?
I recall a similar issue https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=182274 but it may be completely unrelated as I don't know a thing about VPS.

#3 2014-07-26 19:20:21

earlz

That sytemd issue appears to be unrelated or something. And the packages are just what is latest as of this moment. I don't have much installed other than netctl I've tried using it, and using systemd for networking. neither work at boot, but if I manually force it to try again after boot, it works. Very weird issue that I'm not sure is unrelated to linode, considering I have a desktop machine that works just fine. Just trying to figure out how I can pinpoint the problem to report to them or to fix for myself.

#4 2014-07-26 19:52:58

karol
Archivist

How is it supposed to start - via a systemd service? Does it fail?

#5 2014-07-27 21:33:07

Gregosky

Linode ethernet adapters naming is different than if you have built it locally. That was root cause in my case.

#6 2014-08-05 12:21:21

STUART
Website

I had this same issue. I fixed it by (via Lish) systemctl enabling and starting dhcpcd.service, and (if that didn't fix ssh) restarting sshd.service.

I also found this interesting:

[root@sandbox ~]# cat /usr/lib/systemd/network/10-dhcp.network                                        
[Match]                                                                                               
Name=eth0                                                                                             

[Network]                                                                                             
DHCP=yes

Is networkd supposed to be handling network configuration, and if so, shouldn't that be "ef*" rather than eth0?

Is there a better solution that should be put in place to fix this? How does Arch normally do DHCP on Ethernet right now?

Last edited by STUART (2014-08-05 12:23:04)

#7 2014-08-14 20:27:50

matth

This thread deals with the same issue: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=183911

The fix will be in systemd-216, but that isn't out yet. The thread contains multiple workarounds until the fix is released.

#8 2015-11-28 05:49:25

pvinis

hello. i have this with my up to date system. is there something i should do to fix that?

#9 2015-11-28 10:00:10

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

pvinis wrote:

hello. i have this with my up to date system. is there something i should do to fix that?

Please do not necrobump and definitely don't be a help vampire. Do some research, see if you can fix it yourself, then if you still can't then open a new thread with specific information, and details of what you've tried so far instead of a lazy and open-ended "is there something I should do that fix that?".

Closing.

Board footer