You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-06 15:57:23

barefly

Unable to connect wifi via netctl - Unregistered Authentication Agent

I have a previous post int the Newbie Corner that went unanswered, so I figured I'd try again here now that I have some new information. The post is here...

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=197031

And here's a copy of that post so you don't have to open it in a new tab.

ORIGINAL POST:

I have continually been having issues with netctl failing to start an automatic profile for awhile now, but I have been able to manually bring up my connection once my system is up and running. Today I am running into the issue where netctl will outright fail to connect during a manual attempt. When viewing journalctl -xe the error I receive is:

WPA association/authentication failed for interface 'wlan0'
Failed to bring the network up for profile

I noticed that there is a 'fix' for this issue on the Arch Wiki which simply states to bring wlan0 down with ip link, then to start the profile with netctl again. I went ahead and gave that fix a try and got a new error.

Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-process:1324:44567

The error goes on to provide a path to .../PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent,.

I have tried using NetworkManager as well, but I'd prefer not to use it as I seem to have more problems with it over netctl, and that is why I currently have it disabled. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. Also, I was connected to my home wifi last night without a problem, and I have tested the wifi connection with my phone, which authenticates and connects without a problem.

EDIT:

I did a bit more digging and found some startup errors issues via dmesg with wlan0.

IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
wlan0: authenticate with 00:24:b2:71:b8:27 
wlan0: direct probe to 00:24:b2:71:b8:27 (try 1/3)
wlan0: direct probe to 00:24:b2:71:b8:27 (try 2/3)
wlan0: direct probe to 00:24:b2:71:b8:27 (try 3/3)
wlan0: authentication with  00:24:b2:71:b8:27 timed out

The last 5 lines of this error repeats about 7 times before stopping. I use a broadcom card and my 43xx driver loads without a problem, I've been using it for awhile now on various distros.

b43-phy0: Broadcom 4311 WLAN found (core revision 10)

EDIT:

Well after doing some research, I found this existing bug.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/44821

Involving wifi not working under kernel 4.0.1. I noticed a Broadcom card listed by one of the users who was having the same problem, so at this point I'm probably going to wait until I get home to test my laptop on my home wifi again, then if I run into problems I'll downgrade my kernel and see how things go.

NEW POST:

So after all of that I tried my laptop at home again, and netctl-auto connected flawlessly to my wifi at home, which has led me to believe that the problem has to do with the message...

polkitd[1087]: Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-process:2582:96758 

I had previously noted that I would downgrade my kernel, but at this point I'd hate to do that considering netctl-auto is working.

I have also tried connecting via wifi-menu, and when I try that I get the message

Interface 'wlan0' is controlled by netctl-auto

After which authentication fails. I have stopped netctl-auto via systemctl using systemctl stop netctl-auto@wlan0.service and tried again. I end up receiving the message error message from systemctl that the job failed, and viewing journalctl -xe shows the recurring Unregistered Authentication Agent from polkitd.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT:

The issue continues. I have enabled the netctl profile I am currently working in netctl-auto with netctl enable profile, and that has not allowed the profile to automatically start up as it would with my home wireless connection. Something I have been noticing is that upon boot, without attempting to connect with netctl, is that wlan0 is not up.

IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

I have manually brought it up and immediately receive a failed message from systemd regarding my profile in netctl. If I do not manually bring it up with ip link set dev wlan0 up, then when I try to connect with netctl start profile, netctl will not bring wlan0 up and it will leave it in it's previous state.

The odd thing is, even with wlan0 in a down state, systemd is giving me the error message...

WPA association/authentication failed for interface 'wlan0'

Which is odd because netctl shouldn't be able to pass authentication is wlan0 is still down.

I've been at this for 2 days now and am no closer to fixing this than I was yesterday. I could really use some assistance. At this point I believe I may just downgrade my kernel and hope this fixes the issue, if not then I'm silently hoping my laptop won't connect to my home wifi when I get home so I can diagnose this problem via ethernet.

EDIT:

Well here's something new. When viewing why netctl-auto fails on startup via systemctl status netctl-auto@wlan0.service I am getting the reason of

Could not create the configuration file for interface wlan0

At least now I have a bit more to work with.

Last edited by barefly (2015-05-06 22:30:39)

#2 2016-10-18 16:41:12

johnLate

Re: Unable to connect wifi via netctl - Unregistered Authentication Agent

I searched for

Could not create the configuration file for interface wlan0

and found this thread.

In my case, the problem was created by pressing CTRL-C during netctl start $profile, and I could fix it by running:

rm /var/run/network/wpa_supplicant_$interface.conf

#3 2016-12-06 01:57:14

ibizaman

Thanks johnLate that was the problem for me too.

#4 2016-12-06 22:31:16

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Please don't necrobump, ibizaman.

Closing.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer