You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-08 19:27:59

alxhoff

Cannot load websites via Ethernet but WiFi works

Firstly a small disclaimer that I could probably post this on a number of forums but I wasn't too sure where. And the Arch crowd are generally pretty switched on.

My question is actually to ask for more of guidance/constructive input as to which direction I should go in while debugging this. I don't think the problem is with my Arch box but I am also not 100% sure, and it has me stumped.

My setup:

+home server hosing a number of websites, git server etc.
    - Unmodified since problem started
    - Stable
    - nginx reverse proxy to handle public hosts, also stable

+Upgraded my home internet to cable. With one of those crappy Vodafone branded DOCSIS 3.1 modem routers.

Now the problem is that any cabled computers on the home network (my housemates and my Arch boxes)  cannot load the websites (wget fails) that, we host via their public web address, in any browser. But I can using the local addresses through Ethernet. But with WiFi everything is peachy.

The routing tables and traceroutes are the same from ethernet and wifi to the public web addresses.

Maybe my knowledge of this area isn't enough but could someone please point me in some direction because I have come up with nothing so far from my googling. As the only thing that doesn't work on two separate Arch machines is loading the public websites via ethernet. The only thing to of changed is this router and I have been over every setting it had multiple times and I am completely stumped.

Sorry that this doesn't directly belong here.

Cheers

#2 2018-10-08 22:26:09

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Cannot load websites via Ethernet but WiFi works

Give us some more details about the architecture, and specific addressing in place.  From what you've described, it sounds like the new router isn't doing hairpin NAT correctly, but that's just a wild guess based on the vague description you've given.

Board footer