You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-25 21:59:44

rossboulet

[SOLVED] (brain fart) static IP address but no default route

The machine in question uses a static IPv4 address. After some recent updates, I noticed a lot of mail in the outgoing queue. Further investigation revealed that I could not communicate using IPv4 anywhere outside the local network. Then found there was no default route in the routing table. But if I start dhcpcd, the default route gets populated. Another alternative is to do a "route add default..." Again, this system was working fine up until the recent updates to the kernel and to systemd. Sure, I could run dhcpcd, but I don't think I should have to. Am I missing something?

(FWIW, I ran into another problem in the same vein with a 32-bit machine. The link wouldn't come up unless I either ran dhcpcd or brought the link up manually. Yes, I know 32-bit isn't supported here, but I thought it worth mentioning.)

Last edited by rossboulet (2019-07-26 17:48:52)

I really hate this damn machine,
I wish that they would sell it.
It never does just what I want,
But only what I tell it.    -Anonymous

#2 2019-07-26 08:07:49

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: [SOLVED] (brain fart) static IP address but no default route

How have you configured the network on this machine?

#3 2019-07-26 17:48:04

rossboulet

Re: [SOLVED] (brain fart) static IP address but no default route

Triple brain fart on my part. First noticed a problem on a virtual machine. Then thought I reproduced it on a physical machine before I posted. I do think I found a problem, but I will post it under a different title after a little more testing.

Brain fart 1: Turns out the VM was having a problem as a result of setting a duplicated static IPv6 address in /etc/systemd/network/wired.network.

Brain fart 2: The duplicate IPv6 address was from setting a wrong static IPv6 address on another machine. I was trying to set static IPv6 addresses to match the IPv4 addresses. But on the machine with a dot 12 v4 address, I set the v6 address to ...:14. (and yes, I'm aware the v6 12 and 14 are hex and the v4 is decimal, but for now, that's not an issue in this case) So when the VM with a dot 14 v4 address tried to set a v6 address of :14, it showed as dadfailed but I didn't catch it. (But I still don't think this should prevent a default v4 route from being created).

Brain fart 3: On the physical machine, I copied my wired.network template in but neglected to change the gateway address to the proper network, causing it to not have a default route.

So, I saw two machines with no default IPv4 route and thought I'd found a real issue. Sigh

I really hate this damn machine,
I wish that they would sell it.
It never does just what I want,
But only what I tell it.    -Anonymous

Board footer