You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-19 00:53:15

Drogobo

A few nitpiks I have with this.

Why is systemd-boot the default for UEFI booting? systemd-boot isn't even mentioned in the real arch install wiki page. Also, why can't you make swap bigger? My poor laptop can't handle anything. It needs more swap.

free as in freedom

#2 2022-07-19 00:57:24

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: A few nitpiks I have with this.

Drogobo wrote:

Why is systemd-boot the default for UEFI booting? systemd-boot isn't even mentioned in the real arch install wiki page.

No boot loaders are mentioned in the guide, so that's hardly a criteria for complaint.

Also, the whole point of a guided install script is that you accept someone else is going to make choices for you. If you don't like those choices, just install Arch they way you want to.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2022-07-19 00:59:08

ewaller
Administrator

Jason, I was searching for the correct way to say just that.  Well said.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2022-07-19 01:05:46

Drogobo

jasonwryan wrote:
Drogobo wrote:

Why is systemd-boot the default for UEFI booting? systemd-boot isn't even mentioned in the real arch install wiki page.

No boot loaders are mentioned in the guide, so that's hardly a criteria for complaint.

Also, the whole point of a guided install script is that you accept someone else is going to make choices for you. If you don't like those choices, just install Arch they way you want to.

The people working on it should have some regaurd for the users.

free as in freedom

#5 2022-07-19 01:09:55

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Drogobo wrote:

The people working on it should have some regaurd for the users me.

That's what you are actually saying...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2022-07-19 01:37:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

The people working on it should do whatever the hell they feel like.  If you don't like it, don't use it.  The guided installer is not required to be used nor even expected.

If you want to change the way it works and have it do whatever the hell you feel like, then you should become one of the people working on it.  Submit a patch; if your code is good, it will have a good chance of being accepted.

Last edited by Trilby (2022-07-19 01:39:20)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2022-07-19 01:40:53

ewaller
Administrator

For a long time, we had no installer.  As it is now part of the infrastructure, the moderators created a sub forum to support it. 
Taking of my staff hat, I personally think it a poor idea.
Replacing my staff hat, this project, like all Arch projects, are created and maintained by volunteers who get to make the decisions -- because they are putting forth the effort.
You are more than welcome to fork it and create a version that suits your peccadilloes.

Edit:  Not intending to pile on -- I am just slow

Last edited by ewaller (2022-07-19 01:41:41)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer