You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-19 00:53:15

Drogobo
Member
Registered: 2022-07-03
Posts: 13

A few nitpiks I have with this.

Why is systemd-boot the default for UEFI booting? systemd-boot isn't even mentioned in the real arch install wiki page. Also, why can't you make swap bigger? My poor laptop can't handle anything. It needs more swap.


free as in freedom

Offline

#2 2022-07-19 00:57:24

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,287
Website

Re: A few nitpiks I have with this.

Drogobo wrote:

Why is systemd-boot the default for UEFI booting? systemd-boot isn't even mentioned in the real arch install wiki page.

No boot loaders are mentioned in the guide, so that's hardly a criteria for complaint.

Also, the whole point of a guided install script is that you accept someone else is going to make choices for you. If you don't like those choices, just install Arch they way you want to.


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Online

#3 2022-07-19 00:59:08

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 18,869

Re: A few nitpiks I have with this.

Jason, I was searching for the correct way to say just that.  Well said.


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#4 2022-07-19 01:05:46

Drogobo
Member
Registered: 2022-07-03
Posts: 13

Re: A few nitpiks I have with this.

jasonwryan wrote:
Drogobo wrote:

Why is systemd-boot the default for UEFI booting? systemd-boot isn't even mentioned in the real arch install wiki page.

No boot loaders are mentioned in the guide, so that's hardly a criteria for complaint.

Also, the whole point of a guided install script is that you accept someone else is going to make choices for you. If you don't like those choices, just install Arch they way you want to.

The people working on it should have some regaurd for the users.


free as in freedom

Offline

#5 2022-07-19 01:09:55

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,287
Website

Re: A few nitpiks I have with this.

Drogobo wrote:

The people working on it should have some regaurd for the users me.

That's what you are actually saying...


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Online

#6 2022-07-19 01:37:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 27,514
Website

Re: A few nitpiks I have with this.

The people working on it should do whatever the hell they feel like.  If you don't like it, don't use it.  The guided installer is not required to be used nor even expected.

If you want to change the way it works and have it do whatever the hell you feel like, then you should become one of the people working on it.  Submit a patch; if your code is good, it will have a good chance of being accepted.

Last edited by Trilby (2022-07-19 01:39:20)


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#7 2022-07-19 01:40:53

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 18,869

Re: A few nitpiks I have with this.

For a long time, we had no installer.  As it is now part of the infrastructure, the moderators created a sub forum to support it. 
Taking of my staff hat, I personally think it a poor idea.
Replacing my staff hat, this project, like all Arch projects, are created and maintained by volunteers who get to make the decisions -- because they are putting forth the effort.
You are more than welcome to fork it and create a version that suits your peccadilloes.

Edit:  Not intending to pile on -- I am just slow

Last edited by ewaller (2022-07-19 01:41:41)


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#8 2022-08-20 02:33:02

cfr
Member
From: Cymru
Registered: 2011-11-27
Posts: 6,704

Re: A few nitpiks I have with this.

I think the responses here overlook the contributions which users of free software can and should make to its development. I don't think it is a positive thing that so many people seem to use free software without considering at all what they might contribute. Nor do I think it is positive if people think they can't do anything unless they can code. It really isn't only developers and coders who can contribute. I'm not denying that people who can patch stuff and fork stuff make much heftier contributions than I do, but I assume bug reports and feature requests can contribute something, however small. I don't always succeed in submitting useful reports or following up, but I always try to.

If you say 'It's maintained by volunteers who can do whatever they like, so your options are putting up with it, providing a patch or forking it,' it reinforces the sense people have that because they can use free software without contributing anything, there's no reason not to.

Now maybe the people replying here know that, as a matter of fact, archinstall's developers have no interest in hearing from users, that a patch may be accepted but a bug report sans fix or feature request is pointless. If so, fair enough, but that's not been my experience of most projects. Most developers respond more positively; even when they don't respond, it's often not a lack of interest. It goes without saying 'can't fix', 'won't fix' and 'won't implement' can be positive responses.

But the place to report bugs or make feature requests isn't on the forums because the chances of a project developer reading your post are negligible. Instead, you should to use the issue tracker at https://github.com/archlinux/archinstall.


CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Offline

#9 2022-08-20 07:29:23

Allan
Pacman
From: Brisbane, AU
Registered: 2007-06-09
Posts: 11,231
Website

Re: A few nitpiks I have with this.

Maybe...  but neither of the original points are overly useful.  Something needs to be the default UEFI bootloader, and no argument is made for any alternative, or even against systemd-boot.

Offline

#10 2022-08-21 00:09:42

cfr
Member
From: Cymru
Registered: 2011-11-27
Posts: 6,704

Re: A few nitpiks I have with this.

Allan wrote:

Maybe...  but neither of the original points are overly useful.  Something needs to be the default UEFI bootloader, and no argument is made for any alternative, or even against systemd-boot.

That wasn't really my point as the responses were only partly about the merits of the suggestions and I don't have any argument with the replies insofar as they address those merits.


CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Offline

#11 2022-10-28 07:07:41

ZetaRevan
Member
Registered: 2022-10-25
Posts: 12

Re: A few nitpiks I have with this.

Yes the default is systemd-boot, but you CAN opt to use GRUB instead.  The point of vanilla arch is to manually install only what you want/need as opposed to pre-packaged distros.  The guided install script is new.  If you want a feature, ask the devs for it instead of complaining.  IMO, Arch is not for new to Linux users or non-technical users.  If I wanted something easy I would have gone with Manjaro KDE.  I chose vanilla arch for the learning & the minimalism. I didn't even know there was a guided script until I pulled the guide on my latest venture last week (I've delved into it a bit on spare laptops before the installer script was developed/released...sometime mid last year).  As such, I decided to try to play with it and see what it offered.  It does do a lot of the heavy lifting for you.  Is it buggy? Yes. Could it use more options? Yes.  Is it really required to install Arch? No.  Is it a current project that is continually being worked on? Yes.

I'm not a dev, but I do a little bit of python scripting.  It's not easy working out bugs or adding features for everything.  I have a lot of respect for the devs working on projects like this. The great thing is that it's a "nice to have" not a "must have".  I mean the guided installer is intended to make the Arch install process just a little easier & possibly a bit more automated for multiple installs.

If you want to use something other than systemd or GRUB, you can format & rebuild the boot partition with whatever bootloader you prefer.  Building additional code to work with the other bootloaders requires actually using the other bootloaders (while documentation might have extensive info, actually using it allows you to learn things to implement best practices in the code).  Or at least collaboration with someone who uses/has used it.

Offline

#12 2022-10-28 07:30:34

SimonJ
Member
From: Costa Blanca, España
Registered: 2021-05-11
Posts: 92
Website

Re: A few nitpiks I have with this.

I am fairly new to Arch but I have been using Linux for 27 years, the installer script is great for some things but learning to follow the wiki is an integral part of using Arch, imho. If you use the installer to get a feel for Arch you will soon need the wiki anyway, so you will probably want to revisit the installation to do it your way. One tip I can give you is make notes, Arch is so stable you don't have to reinstall, you fix and learn, so record your fixes because your next install could be a while away and all those tweaks that make it yours are handy to have. Sorry if I am speaking out of turn, remove if unneeded.


--
R L U: 222126

Online

#13 2022-10-28 22:23:59

bulletmark
Member
From: Brisbane, Australia
Registered: 2013-10-22
Posts: 581

Re: A few nitpiks I have with this.

Off-topic, but if we have a "crappiest topic title" leader-board then this one should be up there.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB