You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-29 08:18:25

derek

Kernel 2.6.27 upgrade hell

Hi, the subject it's maybe a little too much dramatic but I'm being spending a lot of time with this "smooth" upgrade.

Since I upgraded the kernel I was forced to:

- Reinstall ATI drivers -> Reconfigure my xorg.conf for dual head
- Rebuild vbox modules
- Find out that my speaker was bothering all the time because I was supposed to add !snd_pcsp in my /etc/rc.conf

At this time I couldn't manage to get the sound working.

As I said before the snd_pcsp has been conveniently blacklisted.

My device:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

My modules:

MODULES=(e1000e slhc snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-hda-intel soundcore fuse loop vboxdrv fglrx !pcspkr !snd_pcsp)

I'm beginning to be a little bit bored of fix these small annoying things, I prefer to spend time trying to improve my system rather to trying to fix it after an upgrade... At this time I'm seriously considering not to run "pacman -Su" anymore smile

Hehehe, just tired. I appreciate any help on this one.

Thanks.

Derek

#2 2008-10-29 08:44:00

KimTjik

Re: Kernel 2.6.27 upgrade hell

- Reinstall of ATI drivers seems odd and something I've never encountered, except if something changed in the drivers themselves which meant changes in the configuration. But I doubt it has anything to do with the kernel.

- Rebuilding of vbox modules: I don't know why this upsets you since that's the way VirtualBox works. It's explained in the Wiki, pacman gives that piece of information and VirtualBox developers tell you to do that. If you want some automatic scripts to run and do this for you I suppose we're already beyond the idea behind Arch

- !snd_pcsp: again this is something that has changed in the kernel itself nothing particular for Arch. Maybe annoying, I don't know, but it was so easily fixed that I already forgot about it.

If this is hell, well then I'm not scared even if I believed in it! wink

#3 2008-10-29 09:17:19

derek

Hi,

Yes, as I said, hell was a little too much and I wasn't "blaming" Archlinux at all, I was just sharing the experience so A) maybe it could help someone with the same problems B) someone could help me with the remaining problem which I haven't had time/patience/expertise/whatever to solve.

I think thaht ArrchLinux is great, that's why I'm using it smile

Anyway...  I just want to be able to listen my music and videos again... smile

#4 2008-10-29 10:32:04

KimTjik

Another option if you're using KDE is to change sound-device priority. With the new kernel pcsp pops up with first priority, but by moving it to last place it won't bother you any more.

Anyway...  I just want to be able to listen my music and videos again...

Does this mean you still can't get sound for music or video to work?

#5 2008-10-29 10:47:53

derek

if you're using KDE

I'm actually using GNOME smile

Does this mean you still can't get sound for music or video to work?

Yes, no sound at all.

#6 2008-10-29 12:28:31

blasse

Are you sure this modules: snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-hda-intel soundcore are necessary? I thought ALSA is built into the kernel smile
(I'm using OSSv4, so I don't now for sure)
Are you using ATI or FGLRX driver?
After upgrading to 2.6.27 I tested both of them and both works well, but I'm using xorg-server 1.5 from testing. Maybe post your xorg.conf? smile

Proud ex-maintainer of firefox-pgo

#7 2008-10-29 13:25:04

KimTjik

derek wrote:

I'm actually using GNOME smile

Yes, no sound at all.

OK, but in Gnome you also have some kind of utility for sound-devices. What does it tell you? And how does your modules line look in rc.conf?

I had to blacklist two modules: !pcspkr !snd-pcsp

I don't know whether this is hardware dependent, but I got both of those modules trying to direct sound to the onboard speaker.

#8 2008-10-30 08:12:23

derek

Are you sure this modules: snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-hda-intel soundcore are necessary? I thought ALSA is built into the kernel smile

I don't really know, I kept adding drivers until it worked the first time smile

Are you using ATI or FGLRX driver?

I already posted the modules list in rc.conf, it seems to be a fglrx there...

Maybe post your xorg.conf?

My X it's working fine now... It's just the sound.

OK, but in Gnome you also have some kind of utility for sound-devices. What does it tell you?

That in Gnome I also have some kind of utility for sound-devices... Hehe, just kidding.... Really, what are you truying to say? I tested all the devices which appeeares in Gnome sound preferences...

And how does your modules line look in rc.conf?

The list is in my first post.

I had to blacklist two modules: !pcspkr !snd-pcsp

The list is in my first post.

Thank you all for your interest... but I really miss my sound smile

Last edited by derek (2008-10-30 08:12:59)

#9 2008-10-30 09:56:05

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Maybe try to run alsamixer (if you are using alsa) and look for a setting called "external amplifier" and try to change it and see if you get any sound.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#10 2008-10-30 10:52:09

shazeal

Build your own custom kernel and forget about it. I upgrade my kernel every few months when I have too much spare time, I still have the Arch one being pulled in when I do an yaourt -Suy but its not the default kernel anymore so I could careless if it works or not wink

#11 2008-10-31 20:24:35

luuuciano

If I blacklist !snd_pcsp then kdemod4 at start up shows a message that is not working, and that will use the built in sound card...

is there any way to avoid that?

(well, I can live with that... but maybe, after see it a lot of times, I go crazy and kill my family... I can not live in prison the rest of my life, help me)

Last edited by luuuciano (2008-10-31 21:28:56)

I arch, you arch, he arch, she arch, we arch, they arch...

#12 2008-10-31 22:47:29

KimTjik

No problem to fix that luuuciano. I don't use KDE, but I know it's just to make changes in settings for sound. Since the module is blacklisted you can actually remove that sound device from the list of devices.

I think the path is Settings --> Sound

Board footer