You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-10 19:31:49

initbox

System compromised?

Hey,

I'm not sure what I should think of this, so I'm posting here and asking about it... I've gotten G-lined from QuakeNet twice now, with the following message:

You are infected with a trojan, please clean your PC.

I guess it's certainly plausible, but I doubt it. The first time it happened they cancelled it quickly and when I went and asked about it, they said it was a mistake. I guess having it happen once is all fine and dandy, but yesterday it happened for the second time.

I'm having a hard time believing it though, since (I'm no expert... But...) I have no services running except mpd, that listen on any ports... No ssh etc. Though I don't have iptables dropping packets, my ports are all simply closed. Having inbound packets dropped is sometimes an inconvenience and I see no added benefit in it. Except that port scanners and whatnot wouldn't get a response..

My system is up to date, except that I'm running on an older kernel since my uptime is a tad over 40 days.

So, should I worry or not? I've been thinking about it, and maybe the previous owner of my IP (dynamic) had a virus-laden computer and they're still kicking me out because of that or something. But then again, I've had this ip for as long as my computer has been up, so..

#2 2008-12-10 20:35:23

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

Re: System compromised?

You say they cleared it the first time. Maybe ask them what could trigger it?

#3 2008-12-10 21:10:28

initbox

Daenyth wrote:

You say they cleared it the first time. Maybe ask them what could trigger it?

Well it's supposed to happen when people spam some virus urls on the network. I guess it should also happen if some botnet/whatever system uses their network for remote controlling.

But I know I'm not doing it myself, so either I'm compromised or their system fails.

#4 2008-12-10 22:13:42

string

I'd almost certaintly blame it on their system. I've no idea how their detector works but give this a shot: try some different nick/user/"real name" combinations at first.

#5 2008-12-10 22:19:52

initbox

string wrote:

I'd almost certaintly blame it on their system. I've no idea how their detector works but give this a shot: try some different nick/user/"real name" combinations at first.

Yeah, I'm doing that at the moment.

I guess I should just wait and see. But I did worry for a bit..

#6 2008-12-10 22:53:54

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Are you the only computer on the network? There's no *cough*Windows*cough* boxes elsewhere on the network using the same connection that could be making them upset?

#7 2008-12-11 05:00:55

initbox

fukawi2 wrote:

Are you the only computer on the network? There's no *cough*Windows*cough* boxes elsewhere on the network using the same connection that could be making them upset?

Nope, there aren't. So mine's the only computer on the network.

Board footer