You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-20 02:09:28

Stythys
Website

Server Traffic Monitor

At the moment I'm running ntop, and part of the summary shows a last-minute review of all the traffic going through various ports on the server. Is there a way with ntop, or another similar program, that keeps that information over longer periods of time?

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#2 2009-01-20 05:28:46

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Server Traffic Monitor

perhaps iptraf if you left it running...?

#3 2009-01-20 10:21:05

DonVla

Stythys wrote:

At the moment I'm running ntop, and part of the summary shows a last-minute review of all the traffic going through various ports on the server. Is there a way with ntop, or another similar program, that keeps that information over longer periods of time?

atop, but it's a daemon (http://www.atcomputing.nl/Tools/atop/whyatop.html)

#4 2009-01-21 05:16:02

joephantom
Website

tcpdump, argus, tcpflow, tcpdstat, wireshark suite, etherape, etc. Most of those program aren't in pacman repositories or in AUR. I'm planning to start mantaining packages of security/networking. Possibly you will see  soon enough some of those programs in AUR.

There are plenty of network monitoring programs. Each tool has it own purpose. ¿Why do you need to monitor network traffic? ¿What information do you need? With some more info, maybe, I can suggest you one program in particular.

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible. Those who have cautiously done no more than they believed possible have never taken a single step forward - Mikhail Bakunin

#5 2009-01-21 05:25:56

Stythys
Website

thanks joe...specifically, I want to track the usage of specific ports on a month-to-month basis. any ideas for that?

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#6 2009-01-21 07:21:56

tomk
Forum Fellow

joephantom wrote:

tcpdump, argus, tcpflow, tcpdstat, wireshark suite, etherape, etc. Most of those program aren't in pacman repositories or in AUR.

For the record: tcpdump, wireshark and etherape are in extra, tcpflow is in community, and argus is in the AUR.

#7 2009-01-27 08:38:55

Stythys
Website

so joe...what do you recommend? =P

-- Bregol

#8 2009-01-27 23:24:05

Jeffers0n

Not sure if it does what you're looking for, but you might want to look at Nagios.

#9 2009-02-03 19:31:04

Stythys
Website

alrighty, so I finally got something working. Basically I would use a program like tcpdump to capture stuff on a specific port, output it to a .pcap file, and download that to my comp and read it with wireshark. I tested this by monitoring ssh and sending an 18MB file over, and that's when I discovered a small problem. The .pcap file was 18MB as well =P. I assume it's capturing a lot of unnecessary data I don't need. Is there any way to filter this out and only keep the total amount of traffic that got transferred?

-- Bregol

#10 2009-02-04 10:33:52

DonVla

@Stythys
once again: atop.
from the faq:
"
Disk and network activity per process
In combination with optional kernel patches it shows process-level counters concerning disk I/O and network activity.
"

#11 2009-02-09 05:19:31

Stythys
Website

maybe I'm just being a noob but...

atop looks just like 'top', where it only displays the top processes, and you can't track specific ports, starting from different dates. As I said, I had a working system earlier, but it's just the file size is so large. Is there no way around that?

-- Bregol

Board footer