You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-20 20:17:51

diddi

Server redundancy

Hi!

I'm currently working on a router based on Arch.
The thing that I want to accomplish is to have two machines working redundantly.
They've got the same hardware etc, so the deal is to keep the configuration files up2date (updated through various scripts dynamically), and when one machine dies, the other should take over, having updated configuration files and, obviously, the same IP as the first one.

Anyone got hints where to start out? Had a look at keepalived.org, seems promising (except for the 1+ year silence), but not sure how well it works.

I'm looking for a solution that will also work for other types of servers, databases, www, dns, mail etc etc... if possible.

Any ideas, tips, hints are welcome : )
/Diddi

Last edited by diddi (2009-01-20 20:18:46)

#2 2009-01-21 17:53:09

panecillo

Re: Server redundancy

Take a look at Heartbeat :-)

#3 2009-01-21 21:18:52

diddi

Yeah, I was actually trying to read about it.. while I stumbled upon another problem (described http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=63443)

I've heard about it before though, so I guess I'll make it a try smile

Thanks
/Diddi

#4 2009-01-23 18:01:10

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

lets see...
relayd+carp (openbsd)
proprietary vrrp (cisco stuff)
heartbeatd
keepalived (lvs, linux-ha)
using a frontend proxy like ha-proxy (layer 3/4 or layer 7)
whackamole (build on spread toolkit)
or a proprietary frontend LB like coyotepoint or fat-pipe (h5 i think)
a portable ip block with multiple routes broadcast through BGP (think same ip in different locations). often used with dns servers (opendns does this for instance)

likely you want a combination of some components of the above....

Last edited by cactus (2009-01-23 18:02:26)

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2009-01-24 00:17:09

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

This is part of what we do at my work... We use keepalived to manage the fail-over, and manage the config files manually, since there is variances between the files, and it's easier to manage eveything manually, rather than try to remember what's sync'ed automatically and what's done manually.

Works pretty well -- keepalived manages the virtual IP's and everything. Hardest part is IPsec VPN's. We have it running at one customers site where each box is a Quad Xeon (16 cores) with 16gb RAM and the load average is still constantly around 20 - 30 all day.

Board footer