You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-28 03:01:12

blampars

networkmanager tries to connect to wired network before wireless

i've recently switched from wicd to gnome network manager, mainly because i couldnt get everything working as i wanted with wicd and it all works with network manager.

after boot up and logging in through gdm, network manager always tries to request dhcp address from the wired network first instead of wireless.

this results in me either sitting and waiting for it to cycle, or manually selecting my wireless network each time at log in.  wicd was always connected and ready to go by the time gnome was completely loaded and ready.
Is there a way I can force network manager to request dhcp address from the wireless network first, before the wired network is tried?

any help is much appreciated,
-b

#2 2009-01-28 03:52:03

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: networkmanager tries to connect to wired network before wireless

Leave the wired network unplugged?

IIRC (I changed from NM to netcfg a couple of months ago), NM always gave priority to wired connections (generally they're faster) before trying wireless, but only if there was a link on the NIC.

#3 2009-01-28 04:16:40

blampars

thats the thing, i dont have the ethernet wire plugged in (at home, friends house, whatever), but like to have the option available should i need to plug in at work where the wireless is very weak. hmm

i ask because back in my ubuntu days (i know arch is not ubuntu!), NM didnt have a problem using wireless first if the wired connection was not available.  now with arch and NM it just seems as though default is to try wired connection first regardless if its actually going to be used or not.

thank you for the suggestion though, any more suggestions? smile
-b

#4 2009-02-07 23:01:48

Vladman

I have the same problem...

If anybody have found a solution I too would like to know...

#5 2009-02-07 23:19:53

blampars

well, network manager now connects to my wireless network first if i'm not "wired up"

all i did at login was to click the NM applet and select my wireless network. after a few times now it auto-connects to it.
I dont know if NM actually remembers things like that, or what the deal is, but it works how I want it to now for some reason so I'm happy lol.

#6 2009-02-08 01:51:29

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

For me wicd works perfectly, if I have the network cable plugged in it selects the wired network, otherwise it uses wireless.
I would try removing wicd, deleting all config files and backups and installing it again.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer