You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-16 07:22:48

swamytk
Website

Setting up wireless without netcfg *

With the help of Arch wiki I was able to configure wireless from command line. Here is a simple HOWTO about the same. It may be helpful for other arch users.

http://karuppuswamy.com/wordpress/2009/ … mand-line/

Last edited by B (2009-02-17 00:51:08)

#2 2009-02-16 08:17:29

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Setting up wireless without netcfg *

May I ask why you completely bypass the excellent framework out of the box - called netcfg - and choose to implement this rather hackish solution?

I don't want to downplay your efforts, but you are spending time on stuff that's already been done for you.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-02-16 15:06:26

swamytk
Website

B wrote:

May I ask why you completely bypass the excellent framework out of the box - called netcfg - and choose to implement this rather hackish solution?

I don't want to downplay your efforts, but you are spending time on stuff that's already been done for you.

Pl. refer the arch wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless, which describes three methods to configure wireless. I have followed the first method of "Manual". Since it is completely manual, and does not use any special tools apart from basic wireless_tools and wpa_supplicant, this method seems to be most probable way of getting wireless setup done. So, I chose this method for this article. I believe that this HOWTO will work not only for Arch linux but also for other distros.

As forum moderator, if you really believe that I am misleading the members, you may remove this post from the forum. I am part of Arch linux community, who is interested in its growth.

#4 2009-02-16 21:58:55

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

You're free to do it how you like swamytk, but you are reinventing the wheel.

Some people like reinventing the wheel though, so that's cool wink

FTR, using netcfg, I can connect to wireless in about 4 - 5 seconds... Your script will ALWAYS take *at least* 13 seconds, plus the time to run the commands other than the sleep intervals. On a desktop, this will be unnessicarily delaying boot time, and on a laptop, it doens't make switching between multiple wireless connections easy...

Last edited by fukawi2 (2009-02-16 22:02:58)

#5 2009-02-17 00:38:21

swamytk
Website

Yah, I understood my mistake of re-inventing the wheel.

Dear Moderator,

Can you please remove this post from the forum? If you are able to do that, it would be nice.

Thanks for making me to understand. I have made a caution note on my post in my site to make the people aware of netcfg tool.

Last edited by swamytk (2009-02-17 00:40:19)

#6 2009-02-17 00:50:32

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I'll edit your topic title to make it clear this is not the way to go (no howto).

In the meantime, I hope you have fun setting up netcfg, and learn from it wink.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer