You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-13 21:39:14

MrAllan

[SOLVED] Change IP address?

So there's all those "Web 2.0"-sites out there that automatically set the language and other paramaters according to from where one connects to the net (in my case Germany). I rather prefer using the English sites, and it's annoying to manually set the language to English everytime I visit those sites. I believe that I read somewhere that the choice of language is based on one's IP address, so having an american IP address should solve these issues.

Using a proxy is no option because of latency / speed.

Is it possible to make DHCP assign american IP addresses only?

Or is there any way to set the IP manually to a US one?

I read about IP-spoofing being really simple under UNIX-based systems, so why not use it for this legimitate cause?

EDIT: It (kinda) works now. I made http://www.google.com/ncr my start page. Then, going  to google.com doesn't redirect me to google.de

Last edited by MrAllan (2009-06-06 11:14:56)

#2 2009-03-13 22:08:27

pheon

Re: [SOLVED] Change IP address?

Hi,
most Websites choose the language based on the Accept-Language request-header and not on the IP (this would include checking the ISP using this IP-range and the home-country of this ISP).
You can change the preferred language for example in Firefox this way: Edit -> Preferences -> Content -> Language. Change the preferred language to English/United States [en-us] (or something similar).

If you don't use Firefox, just keep an eye open for similar settings wink

Just out of curiosity, did you install any German language-packs?

Spoofing your IP-address is definitely not the way to handle this:
if you forge(spoof) the source-IP in your network packages, the recipient will send his reply-packages to the spoofed IP - thus your computer does not "listen" to this spoofed IP, the answers (you'd like to receive) will never reach you. Like ordering pizza to wrong address wink

Hope this helps!

Br

watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube

#3 2009-03-13 22:28:40

MrAllan

Thanks, and yes, I did install (some) German language packs. smile

EDIT: Hm, this didn't completely work. I changed the language settings, but entering google.com still forwards me to google.de.

Last edited by MrAllan (2009-03-13 23:28:13)

#4 2009-03-14 00:44:34

pheon

Google, indeed, does redirect you to the local Google-Search based on your IP. In Firefox you could try this:

Type about:config in your address bar
enter keyword.URL in the filter bar
modify the entry
http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&o … &gfns=1&q=
to
http://www.google.com/ncr/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=

Do you experience this on any other website?

Br

Last edited by pheon (2009-03-14 00:46:41)

watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube

#5 2009-03-14 10:43:15

MrAllan

Hm, I modified the entry you mentioned, but after deleting cookies entering google.com still forwards me to google.de ...

Seeing that you're from Germany as well, don't you experience this effect, too?

If the choice of language is really based on one's IP, would it be possible to tell DHCP to assign american IPs only?

How are IPs assigned anyway? By the ISP? The router? The OS?

#6 2009-03-14 10:56:39

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

MrAllan wrote:

If the choice of language is really based on one's IP, would it be possible to tell DHCP to assign american IPs only?

No.

MrAllan wrote:

Assuming you have a "typical" home setup... Your ISP will assign one IP address to your Modem / Router. This is the address that the server will 'see' when you visit a website. The IP Address will be within a specific range allocated to your ISP, which in turn is within a range assigned to your country. An ISP / Country can only use IP addresses that have been assigned to them.

The router will assign a "Private" IP address to your internal computers. There are specific ranges of IP Addresses defined for use as Private*, and they are used internationally on internal networks. These addresses are by design not meant to be used on the internet, should not be used on the internet, and won't get very far if you try wink

* Private Ranges are 10.x.x.x, 172.[16-31].x.x and 192.168.x.x

Last edited by fukawi2 (2009-03-14 10:58:47)

#7 2009-03-14 13:33:57

MrAllan

fukawi2 wrote:
MrAllan wrote:

No.

MrAllan wrote:

Assuming you have a "typical" home setup... Your ISP will assign one IP address to your Modem / Router. This is the address that the server will 'see' when you visit a website. The IP Address will be within a specific range allocated to your ISP, which in turn is within a range assigned to your country. An ISP / Country can only use IP addresses that have been assigned to them.

The router will assign a "Private" IP address to your internal computers. There are specific ranges of IP Addresses defined for use as Private*, and they are used internationally on internal networks. These addresses are by design not meant to be used on the internet, should not be used on the internet, and won't get very far if you try wink

* Private Ranges are 10.x.x.x, 172.[16-31].x.x and 192.168.x.x

Thanks! I guess I'll have to live with those localized sites, then.

#8 2009-03-14 13:53:03

pheon

MrAllan wrote:

On my Linuxbox, I'm not redirected to google.de. I did not install any German language-packs and my Accept-Language request-header is set to English/United States [en-us].

I checked it on my Mac as well:
German Firefox -> google.de
English Firefox / Safari -> google.com

Afaik the keyword.URL-hack only affects the address-bar-google-search (I don't know the exact name of this feature).
If I change it to google.nl/ncr/ I get the Dutch Google.

Are you using the searchbar or are you entering google.com manually?

Br

#9 2009-03-14 14:50:57

MrAllan

pheon wrote:
MrAllan wrote:

On my Linuxbox, I'm not redirected to google.de. I did not install any German language-packs and my Accept-Language request-header is set to English/United States [en-us].

I checked it on my Mac as well:
German Firefox -> google.de
English Firefox / Safari -> google.com

Afaik the keyword.URL-hack only affects the address-bar-google-search (I don't know the exact name of this feature).
If I change it to google.nl/ncr/ I get the Dutch Google.

Are you using the searchbar or are you entering google.com manually?

Br

I entered google.com manually.

#10 2009-03-14 15:14:24

pheon

Another idea would be using the Firefox Addon URL Alias.
Create an alias google to google.com/ncr
I did not try it myself, but looks promising. Probably you could give it a shot.

#11 2009-03-15 09:11:36

MrAllan

Well, it's always possible to change the language, so I guess I'll live with that. Or I might give TOR a shot and see what that gives.
So thanks everyone!

#12 2009-03-15 13:24:11

moljac024

You just made that story up! You're up to no good with ip address spoofing and want us to help you!
Not happening mister! tongue

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#13 2009-03-15 15:18:26

MrAllan

moljac024 wrote:

You just made that story up! You're up to no good with ip address spoofing and want us to help you!
Not happening mister! tongue

I had read about IP-spoofing elsewhere, so I thought that might solve my problem, but pheon very well explained why IP-spoofing would be useless. cool

Last edited by MrAllan (2009-03-15 15:38:13)

Board footer