#
# /etc/modprobe.conf (for v2.6 kernels)
#

alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

ls /lib/modules/2.6.8.1/misc/
ndiswrapper.ko

modprobe -v ndiswrapper
FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.

Basically, I can't get my wireless to startup on boot and i think the last statement there is the problem.  I can get it to work manually by performing the following commands:

1. insmod /lib/modules/2.6.8.1/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
2. iwconfig wlan0 essid myessid
3. ifconfig wlan0 up
4. dhcpcd wlan0

and then it all works fine.  what i dont' understand is why insmod works, but modprobe doesn't, when the file is in the correct folder (/lib/modules/2.6.8.1/).  is there something i have to do to tell modprobe to refresh it's list or something?  any help is appreciated.  thanks!

ps. i did do many searches for this problem and found nothing, so if this has been asked already, i apologize.

loading.... please wait....

#2 2004-10-15 09:44:42

dp
Website

Re: wireless (modprobe?) problem

not sure what can be the problem ...

but i would try to run as root depmod -a ... just do make sure

then i would try to find out, what dmesg says more about your kernel and details of maybe-errors

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-10-15 14:58:24

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

the problem is definately depmod:
to everyone out there, if new external modules are installed, you should usually run depmod -a in order to rebuild a list of modules that the kernel can see, if you do not do this your new modules might not be seen

in addition, make sure you have a proper ndiswrapper driver... if you are in need, you can check my repo below (currently I am not aware of any problems with the ndiswrapper packages, but if you come across any, let me know)  the ndiswrapper package comes with a script for rc.conf... /etc/conf.d/ndiswrapper for your wireless settings and simply add the ndiswrapper daemon in your rc.conf BEFORE network... this way you could add wlan0="dhcp" and INTERFACES="wlan0" to start on boot

#4 2004-10-17 13:37:39

rayzorblayde

cool, thanks everyone.

it works now... with the help from someone else's startup script in another thread, it's working just fine now.

smile

loading.... please wait....

Board footer