You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-10 14:32:02

tomd123
Developer

I have a question about a solved problem.

Relating to http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=73628

I had the same exact problem as the original poster. I had an intel 3945 and everything seemed to be ok after doing dhcpcd wlan0.
The problem is that for some reason the dns server (router) wasn't working?
I was wondering why the dhcpcd fails to configure it correctly and why I need to add my own servers for name resolution to work.
I have tried an ubuntu livecd and everything seems to work so I'm guessing this is just a configuration issue in archlinux.

#2 2009-07-11 02:03:36

ralvez
Website

Re: I have a question about a solved problem.

I did not read the previous  post you are referring to but ... I do not think ArchLinux fails to configure dhcpd, is the user.
See, a DNS server is required in order to have name resolution. It can be a DNS server in your  company, your ISP (usually when you suscribe to an Internet service provider they will give you two addresses for NDS) or a public DNS service like OpenDNS.
Now, it is up to the person installing the router to configue the DHCP server and to add whatever valid DNS servers are to be used for name resoluton. When you use a live CD the default is to let dhcpd to set it up for you, and usually points to your router's IP address.
Hope this helps.

R.

#3 2009-07-11 02:35:56

kazuo
Website

Re: I have a question about a solved problem.

You can use a different dhcp client, I have some problems with dhcpcd and changed it to dhclient.

EDIT: Ubuntu use dhclient if I remember correctly.

Last edited by kazuo (2009-07-11 02:58:05)

Board footer