You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-06 19:13:30

TomB17

[SOLVED] IPList howto

Is there an IPList howto?  If there is, I couldn't find it.  ... so I'll throw it in here.

Step 1: First, you need access to the AUR.  There are several pages on it, none all that accessible to an absolute newbie so...

I recommend yaourt.  I recommend it based on getting it, using it, and having it work.  I have not tried any others.

Instructions can be found here -> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Yaourt

I did the "Easy Install".  It worked.

Step 2: Get IPList from AUR.

Run this as an unprivileged user -> "yaourt -S iplist"

Answer the questions it asks.

Step 3: Fetch the block lists.

Run this -> "ipblock -u"

Step 4: Start ipblock

Run this -> "/etc/rc.d/ipblock start"

Step 5: add ipblock to your startup config.

Edit /etc/rc.conf and add ipblock right after your firewall.

Note: ipblock needs to run after your firewall to be relevant

*** hope this helps someone ***

Last edited by TomB17 (2009-09-06 19:32:03)

#2 2009-09-06 20:43:36

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] IPList howto

TomB17 wrote:

Is there an IPList howto?  If there is, I couldn't find it.  ...

Yeah,, it was hidden away on this obscure website called iplist.sourceforge.net. tongue

Remember -  docs about things you do with Archlinux don't have to be on archlinux.org to be useful.

And one observation - you may find the AUR inaccessible, others may not, particularly the kind of user that Arch is intended for. Rather than recommend yaourt, I would simply link to the iplist page in the AUR and let the user decide which build/install method suits them best.

#3 2009-09-06 23:19:22

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

If this kind of information is missing from the wiki (which you linked to), why not add it to the wiki so others can find it in the future, instead of hiding it away in an obscure forum post....?

#4 2009-09-08 04:41:38

TomB17

tomk wrote:

Yeah,, it was hidden away on this obscure website called iplist.sourceforge.net. tongue

Read it.  That information is aimed at a different audience, don't you think?

tomk wrote:

And one observation - you may find the AUR inaccessible, others may not, particularly the kind of user that Arch is intended for.

I installed Arch for the first time less than a week ago.  Getting my system built up to do the job it needs to do for development, web hosting, and general desk top use has been quite a hurdle.  As others have said, it's a lot like the Gentoo experience.  My Gentoo experience did not end happily.  I got tired of fixing problems and reinstalling because of lousy change control in the portage tree.

tomk wrote:

Rather than recommend yaourt, I would simply link to the iplist page in the AUR and let the user decide which build/install method suits them best.

The recommendation was somewhat tongue in cheek.  As I pointed out: I tried it; it worked.  That is all I know, however, it is sufficient for me to know at this time.

Fair enough.  Certainly, oOne day I will look at other AUR utilities.  It is pretty clear from the hour or so I spent Googling through those utilities, not all of those utilities are well polished.  I understand not wanting to play favorites but my micro-howto can walk someone through the five step install process in a few minutes.  How many hours/evenings would it take to try out each of those AUR utilities and choose a favorite?

The scope of my post is pretty clear.  It's quick and dirty.  Please remove this thread, if you feel it's inappropriate or you don't care for it for some reason.

fukawi2 wrote:

If this kind of information is missing from the wiki (which you linked to), why not add it to the wiki so others can find it in the future, instead of hiding it away in an obscure forum post....?

This howto is pretty tiny and unpolished.  I would put together some more robust documentation, however, I registered an account on the Wiki to put some other info up there and it didn't seem all that accessible.  Perhaps one day my contributions, or pieces of them, will end up in the wiki but I doubt it.

In the mean time, I put a super quick, down and dirty howto in the forum so others can Google or search the forum for this information and find it.

Last edited by TomB17 (2009-09-08 04:44:37)

#5 2009-09-08 05:37:40

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

TomB17 wrote:

This howto is pretty tiny and unpolished.  I would put together some more robust documentation, however, I registered an account on the Wiki to put some other info up there and it didn't seem all that accessible.  Perhaps one day my contributions, or pieces of them, will end up in the wiki but I doubt it.

In the mean time, I put a super quick, down and dirty howto in the forum so others can Google or search the forum for this information and find it.

That's what the wiki is for -- you add what you can, so then others can build upon it and polish it together instead of all the work being dumped on your shoulders smile

Board footer