You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-12 02:56:05

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

dhcpd assign (multiple) alias IP addresses

So, I'm wondering if I can do a really backwards and specific hack to my home network tongue

I have a DMZ, and a LAN. Not that unusual for a Linux geek. I also have a Linksys DNS-313 NAS device which is Linux based, and AFAIK runs the standard dhcpcd daemon to get it's DHCP lease. I want to access the NAS from both the DMZ and LAN, but without the performance impact of having to route through the firewall - it's all gigabit but there's still a performance impact at those high speeds.

SO, I can add the port the NAS is connected to on the switch, to both the DMZ VLAN and the LAN VLAN so it's part of both networks at a Layer 2 level, but I need to get the Layer 3 (ie, IP address) to work on both networks.

To do this, I need to get the firewall dhcpd daemon to tell the NAS device to assign 2 addresses to it's interface. If it was a normal PC:

ip a a 192.168.100.1/24
ip a a 192.168.200.1/24

I've done some Googling, but only found a solution that involves configuring the client with an actual alias interface with a unique MAC so the client actually gets 2 leases from the DHCP server, but being that I only have the Web GUI for the NAS, I have to be able to do this in one lease.

Any ideas Archers?! cool

(IP addresses changed to protect the guilty tongue)

Last edited by fukawi2 (2009-09-12 02:56:27)

Board footer