You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-06 01:44:33

dragos240

Is there an easier way to setup postfix?

Postfix is really a pain. So many conf files, and so many steps. I have everything else set up, but I would like email validation for my mybb forum. Help?

#2 2009-11-06 02:21:12

byte

Re: Is there an easier way to setup postfix?

- http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
- not "many", but just two config files, of which you only really need to touch one -> main.cf (plus the aliases file and optional lookup tables, but as long you're not going into SQL or LDAP those are more like data, not configs)
- once you've understood SMTP and grown accustomed to the Postfix 'slang', there's not much to it
- of those 631 variables you could put into main.cf, a dozen or so is the maximum I've ever needed to touch for my setups

Do you really need to receive mails for your own domain?
Pulling mail from elsewhere, piping it through some script, sending mail -- there are simpler tools for each of those tasks.

#3 2009-11-06 02:35:32

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Is there an easier way to setup postfix?

I've always found Postfix to be the simplest yet still capable MTA out of the major ones (sendmail, qmail, exim etc).

As byte mentioned, if you only need to *send* e-mail, then you should be able to get away with using a simple relay like 'ssmtp' instead of a full-blown MTA like Postfix.

Board footer