You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-23 05:10:56

ewaller
Administrator

xicd versus networkmanager

Hello all.  I am a user of KDE.  I used to use networkmanager until the great KDE 4 transition event.  I could not find an applet that did not displease me, and the native KDE 4 applet was just a teaser.  As such, I migrated to wicd, but have never been completely happy with it.  The ioct backend worked okay with the Broadcom-wl driver, but it just won't work with the B43 native kernel module.  As such, I have been using the external tools back end.  They are slow, but they have worked for me -- until today.

I spent about an hour on a problem I just should not have had.  I had a mission critical situation where I had to join a WEP encoded network.  I generally use WPA2 and have not had to use WEP for months.  Wicd just would not make the connection.

I did not have time to fully diagnose the problem to the point where I can create a meaningful bug report -- time was of the essence.  Instead, I shut down wicd and brought the network up by hand (iwlist, iwconfig, ifconfig, dhcpcd).

I came home tonight to enjoy some quiet and decided to spend some time in the forums.  I found some posts that may be related to my issue but, while searching, I found there is now a networkmanager plasmoid for KDE 4.4.

Anybody want to chime in on the state of wicd versus networkmanager or about the merits of the new plasmoid?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer