You are not logged in.

#26 2011-11-08 13:08:51

davve

Re: Xmonad causes full system freezes randomly?

egan wrote:

I've had this problem too, it seems to be certain combinations of linux and Xorg that cause it because my xmonad install hasn't been updated in months. I'm on x86_64 and Intel integrated graphics (2nd gen i5). After an update last week it stopped happening. It's hard to tell which update, because various Xorg stuff, intel-dri, and linux-firmware have been updated in that interval.

I am in the identical situation. x86_64 and same hardware experiencing the same issue.

Since updating a week or so ago I have been experiencing random freezes.

Running dwm now things have yet to freeze. Or running windows (eww). I have looked through /var/log/everything countless times and there are no clues from what I can find .:/

EDIT: Installing through cabal did not resolve the issue.

Last edited by davve (2011-11-08 13:18:03)

#27 2011-11-08 16:53:29

egan

Someone else has the same problem here, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p1014007
My friend had the same problem months ago on different hardware: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=119930

I've been chasing this bug for a long time.

#28 2011-11-08 16:59:53

Haptic

egan wrote:

I've had this problem too, it seems to be certain combinations of linux and Xorg that cause it because my xmonad install hasn't been updated in months. I'm on x86_64 and Intel integrated graphics (2nd gen i5). After an update last week it stopped happening. It's hard to tell which update, because various Xorg stuff, intel-dri, and linux-firmware have been updated in that interval.

Does everyone experiencing freezes have intel 2nd-gen with integrated? I have the same setup as well.

#29 2011-11-08 17:19:22

hellomynameisphil
Website

Haptic wrote:

Does everyone experiencing freezes have intel 2nd-gen with integrated? I have the same setup as well.

My netbook has an atom processor with intel graphics. Not sure if that is '2nd-gen'...

#30 2011-11-08 18:09:13

cppkhartna

Haptic wrote:

Yes, me too, but 2nd gen i3.

#31 2011-11-08 19:16:47

gadget3000

I'm getting the same issue. I have x86_64, an i5 processor and nVidia 330M chip.
I'm using xmonad with xmonad-contrib.
I also thought it was flash originally. I can't remember when the freezes started but if it helps, flashplugin was updated on the 4th September 2011 (http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra … ashplugin/) and linux was updated to 3.0.7 on the 20th September 2011 (http://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/linux/).

I've had a freeze happen when only chrome was open.

Egan linked to a post I made before I knew about this one (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p1014007) and there I found (from /var/log/everything.log) that an old script was running with crond and freaked out before any freeze so I removed that with crontab and not (yet) had a freeze.

Last edited by gadget3000 (2011-11-08 19:19:14)

#32 2011-11-10 00:56:05

davve

So what script was it? Has anyone else resolved this issue?

#33 2011-11-10 03:43:59

sitquietly

icetonic wrote:

For some days already it occurs to me that the system just completely freezes and locks up. Neither keyboard nor mouse accept input, the screen freezes, the sound stutters, and even SysRq combinations do not work.

....The weird thing is that these freezes seem to happen randomly on some mouse movement... ...Could it really be XMonad that is causing such a heavy system freeze?

It's happening on my up-to-date sandy bridge i5 (Intel graphics) system exactly as you describe. For the past couple of months I spend most of time under kde plasma. Kwin does fairly helpful tiling now, is fast, and I like activities. I encounter zero problems under kde.  But twice while returning to my very stable and previously wonderful xmonad setup I've had these hard freezes.  Even sshd is dead and the computer has to be powered off.

I first noticed this problem with xmonad somewhere around linux 3.0.6.

I love xmonad so will also try to find a resolution.  sad

#34 2011-11-10 03:47:33

lifeafter2am

Has anyone with issues tried asking on the XMonad IRC channel?  Or the XMonad mailing list?

From what I can tell here it looks limited to integrated Intel chipsets (both my NVidia machines run without fault), but that still has to be a fair amount of users .... enough for the XMonad developers to take notice.

Last edited by lifeafter2am (2011-11-10 03:48:05)

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#35 2011-11-10 05:28:03

treewojima

And here I was thinking I messed up my system somehow smile

I've been having these lockups for the past week or so now, and the only common element I can identify is that I'm watching a video in VLC every time it happens. (Correlation does not imply causation, though.) I too am running the current repo version of Xmonad on an x86_64 system with an Intel chipset and an NVIDIA graphics card. I've rummaged through /var/log and haven't found anything that points me in the right direction. I'll try switching to the cabal version of Xmonad to see if there's any improvement.

Also, first post, newbie, etc.

#36 2011-11-10 13:33:37

icetonic

Well ok, it may not be explicitly an XMonad problem, as we have reports for other WMs too, but I think XMonad should somehow be able to work around this, as there are symptom-free WMs around.. and it also seems unrelated to any specific application running, as everybody is reporting something different..

If it's really a hardware or driver problem, I can say its not Intel - I have not a single piece of Intel hardware whatsoever in my computer... nVidia NForce chipset with nvidia card... so thats not the answer hmm

#37 2011-11-10 14:22:33

mhertz

I'm having the same issue here, running latest hg tip of dwm and latest kernel from [testing] and ati-integrated gpu with open-source drivers...

It always happens when i'm using dwb, but that's probably just a coincidense as that's where I spend the majority of time...

#38 2011-11-10 16:31:52

ibid
Website

#39 2011-11-10 16:42:40

lifeafter2am

Your report is misleading.  I have two machines running XMonad with NVidia graphics that work just fine.  Not to mention that this thread mentions multiple times that users of other WM's are also experiencing this issue.

-------------

#40 2011-11-10 18:29:43

davve

Update:
Ran pacman -Suy today and received kernel 3.1.0-4 and have since used xmonad without any problem.
I dont want to speak too soon but it would usually have frozen by now. Will report if it does freeze.

Otherwise consider my problem resolved.

Intel i5-2520M Integrated HD3000 graphics
Lenovo X220

Last edited by davve (2011-11-10 19:10:05)

#41 2011-11-10 18:36:10

cppkhartna

Yes, this kernel update has also worked for me (Intel i3-2310M Integrated HD3000 graphics).

#42 2011-11-10 19:06:48

mhertz

I've had a freeze also with kernel 3.1.0-4... For me it happens roughly once every second day or so...

Last edited by mhertz (2011-11-10 19:07:57)

#43 2011-11-11 00:29:24

ibid
Website

lifeafter2am wrote:

Your report is misleading.  I have two machines running XMonad with NVidia graphics that work just fine.  Not to mention that this thread mentions multiple times that users of other WM's are also experiencing this issue.

My report's intention was not to say that all users of nvidia graphics cards are having issues, but to point out that it has been a constant among users on this thread that have the problem.

I've only seen one post here where the user says they are using another WM. I considered that a separate issue: the bulk of the posters here, and my experience (as reporter), is that the freezes occur with xmonad and nvidia hardware.

The fact that this occurs for a significant number of users in xmonad exclusively, does not mean the bug is in xmonad, but it's still something I'd like the developers to be aware of.

If this was not clear or could not be gathered from this collection of posts as a whole, hopefully this explanation clarifies the issue.

#44 2011-11-11 01:47:24

lifeafter2am

ibid wrote:
lifeafter2am wrote:

My report's intention was not to say that all users of nvidia graphics cards are having issues, but to point out that it has been a constant among users on this thread that have the problem.

I've only seen one post here where the user says they are using another WM. I considered that a separate issue: the bulk of the posters here, and my experience (as reporter), is that the freezes occur with xmonad and nvidia hardware.

The fact that this occurs for a significant number of users in xmonad exclusively, does not mean the bug is in xmonad, but it's still something I'd like the developers to be aware of.

If this was not clear or could not be gathered from this collection of posts as a whole, hopefully this explanation clarifies the issue.

1) Don't use the word significant when this thread is less than 2 full pages (sorry, I am a researcher and its a pet-peeve of mine for that term to be used with a small sample size)
2) It doesn't cover XMonad exclusively if even 1 other person experiences it on another WM
3) As was stated in the ticket, this is not an XMonad bug, as if it was we would see it even more pronounced across way more machines
4) I do agree that it was good to bring it to their attention, but a simple mailing list post or quick chat on IRC probably would have been more appropriate (which really was my main point)

I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but you made statements in the ticket that were misleading; especially since there are reports of this happening with Intel chipsets (in this same thread).  Misleading statements can lead to bugs being closed prematurely, or could bury the real issue because the bug is not fully described. 

Again, if I am coming off really rude, I apologize, as that is not my intention.  smile

-------------

#45 2011-11-14 13:54:45

fredo1664

I have the same kind of issue with Gnome 3.2 (has them with 3.0 as well). Usually I would be watching a video on youtube or something equivalent, and upon interacting with the mouse, the whole system would freeze, with the last few milliseconds of sound repeating themselves forever.
At first I thought like ibid that this was flash related, but I have seen it happen while using firefox on a page which was not using flash.

Maybe we could try and narrow down the problem?
If the mouse is involved, maybe something to do with the driver? I am using a wireless keyboard and mouse from Logitech.
I am using Firefox when this happens. Cannot remember an occurrence without Firefox running.
I had installed the Haskell package some time ago to play with it, but I have uninstalled it. Cannot remember if the freezes started when I installed it. I am mentioning this since this bug seems to happen a lot with xmonad.
I have an ATI Radeon HD card and I use the open source driver.
There does not seem to be any relevant trace in my logs.
My CPU is a i7 860.

This problem is quite annoying and I have absolutely no clue where to start searching...

Last edited by fredo1664 (2011-11-14 15:56:17)

I'm French and French people can't speak English, so please please please excuse the terrible English!

#46 2011-11-14 14:33:38

losl

I've been having the problem on a Thinkpad T420, running xmonad, and chromium. I got a few on my desktop but it seems to have stopped on that system.

#47 2011-11-15 02:19:51

mhertz

ibid wrote:

Two, actually; me and Haptic, and after your post a third, and where two of us use ati...

#48 2011-11-18 20:30:01

icetonic

I can happily report that the kernel 3.1 update worked for me too... No freezes ever since.

fredo1664: your experience seems very similar to mine.. especially the feeling that it occurs on mouse movement yikes

Assuming everyone shares exactly the same symptoms we can say that:
- its not bound to a window manager (reports from xmonad, dwm, fluxbox and gnome)
- its not bound to a graphics card vendor (reports with nvidia, ati and intel)

Now looking at the fact that
- freezes only occur during active interaction/user input and
- some reported to have solved this or a similar issue by removing some USB device

It really seems to narrow down to a quite ugly Xorg (USB-)input driver problem..

#49 2011-11-18 22:49:11

mhertz

I've not had this issue in some time either, so I hope it's solved also, probably by an update of kernel/xorg...

I've never had the issue with relation to usb though, and once it happened after I had left the system for some minuttes on a google image search, where a bunch of pics where showing, and another time, where I was on this forum and went to see a screenshot someone posted, then right after the picture came up, then I could hear my fan speed up fast and then the freeze came again...

Unfortunetly, I haven't been able to reproduce the issue, so as to make a backtrace or something...

Anyway, i'm hoping that this issue is finally solved now also:)

#50 2011-11-18 23:47:26

pyro539

Hi,

I'm facing also this problem, on my workstation as well as on my notebook. On the workstation i have a amd radeon hd 3650 graphics card and on the notebook a amd fusion e-350 with integrated graphics. on both notebooks catalyst is installed. since i upgraded to catalyst 11.11/xorg-server 1.11/kernel 3.1.1, i didnt notice any bug, i think it only happend with catalyst 11.10/xorg-server 1.10/kernel 3.1.0.

unfortunately i never noted the circumstances when the freezes occured, e.g. mouse movement or anything like that. perhaps this might help some people anyway

edit: I'm also running Xmonad from the repository, not from darcs.

Last edited by pyro539 (2011-11-18 23:49:25)

Board footer