You are not logged in.

#101 2011-02-13 18:32:48

Pierre
Developer
Website

Re: Fighting spammers

Several interesting points here: First of all if an account has been compromised I'd like to know more details about this.

The different languages are quite a problem. That's why I want to get rid of all non-english articles. ATM this project just lacks man power though. (they will be moved wikis of local communites who can handle such things much easier)

And yes, maybe there is a need for more wiki moderators; but I didn't look into this. (I am more the tech admin)

#102 2011-02-13 21:10:15

kynikos
Wiki Admin

The discussion about a possible Antispam Team continues here.

@ Pierre
I've replied to your post in the new thread

#103 2011-03-30 10:46:08

Datastream

This was the most insanely difficult captcha I've ever encountered. Well, more or less most bothersome. I am still on windows but needed linux distro for college (it) and other more dubious practices... smile
Anyway I had to go install virtual pc with archlinux boot disk. Then get that terminal code in there and then back in the form. Annoying as hell. Captcha's work too, you know.

Though I suppose this is to ward off spammers and not-as-clever-people.

#104 2011-03-30 12:20:14

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Datastream, the fact that you are here now, shows that you are determined to make it even if it takes a few jumps through hoops. Those are the kinds of users we like to see big_smile

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#105 2011-11-22 22:53:19

mjv196

Quick suggestion on the registration question, I was stuck for five minutes trying to figure out why it returned > instead of a usable answer until I realized the ending double quote made me miss the single quote ' at the end of the command. Putting the command in italics would fix that.

#106 2011-11-22 23:02:15

karol
Archivist

mjv196 wrote:

Quick suggestion on the registration question, I was stuck for five minutes trying to figure out why it returned > instead of a usable answer until I realized the ending double quote made me miss the single quote ' at the end of the command. Putting the command in italics would fix that.

Using single quotes is a standard way of marking a command and you should be familiar with getting the '>' instead of the expected output :-)
I'm fine with making it more obvious as to what does the user need to copy, but italics is the wrong way to do it.

#107 2011-11-22 23:38:15

mjv196

karol wrote:
mjv196 wrote:

Using single quotes is a standard way of marking a command and you should be familiar with getting the '>' instead of the expected output :-)
I'm fine with making it more obvious as to what does the user need to copy, but italics is the wrong way to do it.

well see that's the thing, I'm suggesting not using the double quotes for people like me that like Arch and want to use it, but might not have that level of experience. Personally I had no idea why I was getting a > as the output, I still don't really know what the command even does exactly, I just entered it and redirected to a text file so I could copy and paste it into the registration form. I suggested italics because this way the last double quote won't be there to get confused with the single quote right before it, isolating the command on its own line would also help. Either way my point was that what is obvious to someone with more experience on the Linux CLI may not be obvious to someone who's worked more on another platform.

#108 2012-04-01 17:27:44

WanderingOak

I finally made it into the forums. I tried to run the script on my Mac, only to have Terminal return "-bash: sha256sum: command not found". I had problems running it on my Arch laptop at first because TWM wouldn't let me copy or paste into the shell, so I had to get my daemons squared away to get xfce running before I could begin to ask questions.

I do love a challenge, but the learning curve just to register for the forums is a bit extreme...

#109 2012-04-01 21:22:14

/dev/zero

WanderingOak wrote:

I do love a challenge, but the learning curve just to register for the forums is a bit extreme...

Yes, like an extreme sport. If you're trying to drum up a suggestion that the bar should be lowered, I think you will not find much sympathy around here.

#110 2012-04-01 21:40:29

ethail

WanderingOak wrote:

I finally made it into the forums. I tried to run the script on my Mac, only to have Terminal return "-bash: sha256sum: command not found". I had problems running it on my Arch laptop at first because TWM wouldn't let me copy or paste into the shell, so I had to get my daemons squared away to get xfce running before I could begin to ask questions.

Not trying to troll or something like that, but wouldn't have been easier to boot some random distro live-cd?

My GitHub Page

Best Testing Repo Warning: [testing] means it can eat you hamster, catch fire and you should keep it away from children. And I'm serious here, it's not an April 1st joke.

#111 2012-04-01 23:00:11

WanderingOak

ethail wrote:
WanderingOak wrote:

Not trying to troll or something like that, but wouldn't have been easier to boot some random distro live-cd?

Yes, I could have done that, but I didn't have any live CDs handy, so I would have to download and burn one first. As I said before, I like to be challenged every now and then.

I'm more interested in finding out why the script wouldn't run on my Mac, which does run a variant of BSD in the background...

#112 2012-04-01 23:02:25

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

It's pretty easy - you don't have sha256sum on your system. Nothing more. Or you do, but it's not in your path - if Darwin uses paths.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#113 2012-04-13 16:39:51

lie2815
Website

Just as a heads up: we will very soon release a new version of FluxBB (v1.5) that will incorporate a simple, yet effective, anti-spam measure, split up in two parts:

• the option to automatically promote users to new groups based on their post count

• a new permission for posting links

In combination, these two features allow for prohibiting new members to include any links in their posts, until they reach a certain (configurable) number of posts - essentially taking away the incentive for spammers to post (that's the theory; let's hope it works that way).

Doing my best to break your forum.
FluxBB - twitter

#114 2012-04-13 17:19:13

Pierre
Developer
Website

Does this include adding links to their profile (including signatures etc.)?

#115 2012-04-14 03:47:50

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I've seen that sort of permissions behaviour on other forums (xda-devel for instance) and I'm skeptical about its usefulness, especially since we expect new users to read wiki pages etc. BEFORE posting. This would mean that the new user would not be able to point to wiki X and say "hey I've read that one".

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#116 2012-04-14 04:12:25

ewaller
Administrator

lie2815 wrote:

Just as a heads up: we will very soon release a new version of FluxBB (v1.5) ...the option to automatically promote users to new groups based on their post count

Gads -- Karol is going singlehandedly bring the forums to its knees big_smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#117 2012-05-18 15:46:29

Archlinuxomane

Spam checks requiring a working linux console are a pain in the ass for first time installers who can't get through the installation progress and want to ask in the forums for help.

Last edited by Archlinuxomane (2012-05-18 15:47:05)

#118 2012-05-18 15:58:36

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

so if you are installing, don't you already have the archlinux live cd which has a working linux console?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#119 2012-05-18 16:05:20

Archlinuxomane

I'm installing it in a Virtual Machine, and I didn't get to a stage where I could paste anything from the host machine's clipboard. I probably could have typed the whole thing, but I really couldn't be bothered... I eventually googled "online linux shell" and signed up for something like that and telnet'ed to it (which allowd for usage of the clipboard).

I just find the current measure a bit extreme. I understand it for editing the Wiki, but for a support forum?

Last edited by Archlinuxomane (2012-05-18 16:06:00)

#120 2012-05-18 16:09:02

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Archlinuxomane wrote:

I'm installing it in a Virtual Machine, and I didn't get to a stage where I could paste anything from the host machine's clipboard. I probably could have typed the whole thing, but I really couldn't be bothered... I eventually googled "online linux shell" and signed up for something like that and telnet'ed to it (which allowd for usage of the clipboard).

Well, it serves another purpose. You are an example of users we like to see on the forums, who do what needs to be done in order to get their systems up and running. We try to keep the signal to noise ratio in check by having users like you.

Archlinuxomane wrote:

I just find the current measure a bit extreme. I understand it for editing the Wiki, but for a support forum?

You wouldn't find it extreme, if you had seen the amount of spam posts we used to get before we had this measure in place. We had 7 moderators working overtime trying to delete spam posts and we still couldn't catch all of them.

Welcome to the Arch Forums. Hopefully you will enjoy your stay.

Forum Rules

#121 2013-06-04 19:46:17

morpheus42

This is the most fucked up registration form I've seen in my entire life.
If you do not see this, then you are arrogant and beyond hope

#122 2013-06-04 19:55:18

ewaller
Administrator

morpheus42 wrote:

If I do see it, it does not necessarily imply the converse.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … _The_Staff

I would hate to see your labors be for naught:  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … 2C_Banning

Edit: And, with regards to https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 0#p1282770,
this rule: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … mpty_Posts

Last edited by ewaller (2013-06-04 23:03:49)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#123 2013-06-04 20:11:26

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

morpheus42 wrote:

If you're willing to volunteer to read each post and look for spam 24/7, I think we'll be able to remove the question.

#124 2013-06-04 22:24:45

dag

I found it genius yet simple as long as you have the tools.

--------------------------------------
alcoves wonder creates the wonder unto the ages; never lose that.

#125 2013-06-09 07:35:00

chulaluk

Just my $0.02.  I've spent the better part of the past 2 days trying to get an install of any linux distro to work on my stupid uefi laptop.  Since I'd really prefer to have archlinux on it, I've been trying everything possible on my own to get it to work.  Finally, I break down and figure I'll ask on the forum about a problem I'm having.  And then I have to jump through more hoops just to ask a question...  I'm sure no one will care, but it is actually really frustrating to new users - especially given the fact that I'm here specifically because I can't get linux to work.

Sure, I did the live cd and all that jazz, but it was just one more frustrating thing on top of 2 days of frustrating things.

Board footer