You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-29 05:02:48

trusktr
Banned
Website

[SOLVED] How to guarantee that my server serves files for a domain?

How do I guarantee that my Arch server is the server serving files when a user visits my domain name? For example, I have a domain name and I can change the name servers that it connects to. How do I guarantee that once the domain connects to those name servers that my server is the one serving the files?

If it helps, my server has a static IP address that doesn't change. I have a feeling that the IP address plays a role with it somehow, but I'm not sure how.

So far what I've done is point my domain to the name servers where my Arch server is located and I've created a VirtualHost entries for Apache to serve files, and it works. If you visit http://savageworkouts.com, you should see (hopefully) the site that I've designed for a client of mine.

But who's to say that someone who has a server using the same name servers can't also add VirtualHost entries into his/her apache configuration and start serving their own content in place of mine to users who visit my domain name?

How do I make sure that content served through my domain name is only from my server (with it's unique IP address)?

EDIT 9/6/2013 1:07am: The solution is to create your zonefile in Linode's DNS Manager prior to pointing your domain to Linode's nameservers. In the case that someone create the DNS records before you did while your domain was pointing to linode, you could prove to Linode that you own the domain by updating your whois info so that your linode account email address matches the email address visible in the whois. Linode employees could then also send a verification code to the matching email address for further security.

Last edited by trusktr (2013-09-06 08:13:34)

joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.

#2 2012-04-29 08:23:39

Gcool

Re: [SOLVED] How to guarantee that my server serves files for a domain?

It depends a bit how you're managing the domain exactly. If you're the unique owner of the savageworkouts.com domain and have created a dns a record pointing your domain to 50.116.4.56 (which is the ip I get when resolving the domain); then you've got nothing to worry about. As long as you're the only one with access to change the a records for your domain (through your registrars management interface or however it is you do it), it should be all good.

Burninate!

#3 2012-04-30 05:35:25

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

SSL Certificates, and verify that the presented certificate is the one you bought / installed.

trusktr wrote:

But who's to say that someone who has a server using the same name servers can't also add VirtualHost entries into his/her apache configuration and start serving their own content in place of mine to users who visit my domain name?

Name Servers and Virtual Hosts are related, but independent....

#4 2012-04-30 12:34:25

sealclubber

trusktr wrote:

How do I guarantee that my Arch server is the server serving files when a user visits my domain name? For example, I have a domain name and I can change the name servers that it connects to. How do I guarantee that once the domain connects to those name servers that my server is the one serving the files?

If it helps, my server has a static IP address that doesn't change. I have a feeling that the IP address plays a role with it somehow, but I'm not sure how.

So far what I've done is point my domain to the name servers where my Arch server is located and I've created a VirtualHost entries for Apache to serve files, and it works. If you visit http://savageworkouts.com, you should see (hopefully) the site that I've designed for a client of mine.

How do I make sure that content served through my domain name is only from my server (with it's unique IP address)?

This stuff is managed by your ISP AFAIK. Your domain name is unique to the database that your ISP owns and should not conflict with anyone else as it is unique to your domain name and IP address.

Also, what fonts are those?

When I  win the lottery, the first thing I will do, before I buy a new car or a house, would be to buy a goddamn Cisco XR 12000 router and enough T3 lines to wire a country.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/sealclubber

#5 2012-05-01 23:02:54

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

sealclubber wrote:

This stuff is managed by your ISP AFAIK. Your domain name is unique to the database that your ISP owns and should not conflict with anyone else as it is unique to your domain name and IP address.

Errr, what? A domain you register has nothing to do with your ISP, unless they also happen to be your domain reseller...

#6 2012-05-01 23:16:46

Awebb

Or it was a clumsy attemt at explaining how DNS works.

Last edited by Awebb (2012-05-01 23:17:00)

#7 2012-05-02 08:13:53

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

sealclubber wrote:

Also, what fonts are those?

Georgia
Bebas Neue Regular

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Board footer